Monday, March 18, 2013

Crisp Salad All Week Long

I have a ton of tricks up my frugal sleeve. Some of these save our family money; some keep us healthy; and some do both.

One of my best tips (I'm sure I learned it from a magazine!) makes getting raw veggies into my diet a snap. Buy fresh greens and chop them up as soon as you get home from the store. Then you'll have the base for individual salads or for a side dish.

I like trying different greens for my salads.  Boston lettuce has a creamy, fresh taste but loses freshness quickly. Romaine is versatile, as is iceberg. In my humble opinion, the salad starter that holds up with crunchiness the longest is actually a type of cabbage--napa cabbage. It has a mild flavor (not cabbage-y) and goes great with most salad toppings and flavors. Off season they can be yellowish. Skip those--you want a nice, light green one.


I also pick up a bag of pre-sliced carrot shreds. Buy any raw vegetables you like, pre-sliced or whole.

Once I've put my groceries away, I immediately slice the salad starter (in this case, napa cabbage) into little shreds. You can also chop them smaller.


When the whole thing is chopped, I put the pieces in a Ziploc bag. Next, I slice any other fresh vegetables to snack on for the week.


Sure, you can buy a bagged, pre-cut salad mix--I do all the time--but they tend to brown and wilt quickly. Napa keeps its color and crunch all week.

You now have everything you need for a quick, healthy snack. I like to add sunflower seeds to my salad too for extra protein and crunch.


If you'd like a fancier salad to serve as a side, use 3-4 cups of your prepared napa cabbage. Slice up 1 cup of strawberries. Toss in 1/4 cup of sliced almonds or walnut pieces. Toss with raspberry vinaigrette. Delicious!

Fancy Strawberry Napa Salad
4 cups chopped or shredded napa cabbage
1 cup strawberries, sliced
1/4 cup sliced almonds (or walnut pieces)
Raspberry vinaigrette. (around 1/2 cup, depending how much dressing you prefer)

Toss together and serve.

Do you like salads? What are your favorite toppings?

Happy Monday!

23 comments:

  1. Like salads. Not too fond of making them so usually go for the pre-bagged. Heard on a cooking show once, you aren't supposed to cut your lettuce with a knife. The knife causes the edges to brown. Best to tear your lettuce with your hands. So the tv chef said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that too, and years ago I tried it both ways. The cut version browned at the same rate as the torn, so I always just cut it!

      Delete
  2. Good morning, Jill! I love salads loaded with fresh veges. In lieu of dressing, I like to use fresh lemon juice with some fresh ground pepper.

    If you need to cut your lettuce, you can use a plastic knife, which also will prevent the edges from browning.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm, lemon juice and pepper sounds yummy! I've never had a problem with sliced lettuce browning prematurely. I'm wondering if it's an old wives' tale! In fact, I experimented by doing it both ways--the edges browned at the same rate for both!

      Delete
  3. I've been experimenting more with salads. My favorites are taco salad (turkey taco meat, low-fat cheese, a few tortilla chips, and catalina dressing) and a fruit salad (apples, grapes, turkey, low-fat cheese, oranges, and a fat-free poppyseed dressing). :)

    I haven't tried Napa cabbage...will have to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum, yum, yum! I love everything you described!!

      Delete
  4. I love salads! I always have trouble with lettuce going bad too quickly, though, so I I need to try your napa cabbage suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Ziploc bag makes a difference--squeeze out the extra air before sealing. :)

      Delete
  5. I've never tried napa cabbage because I'm not a cabbage fan. At. All. But to know that it doesn't taste cabbagy is a good thing. I'm giving it a whirl! Thanks for the great tip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Donna--cabbage has a strong flavor! Napa doesn't. If you hate it, you're only out a couple bucks!

      Delete
  6. Gwynly and I eat a lot of salads during our hot California summers. It's fun adding those little extras, like sunflower seeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The phrase "California summers" makes me smile. I'm about done with this northern Ohio winter!! I love salad toppers too. Yum!

      Delete
  7. I did not know that about napa cabbage. I will have to look for some.

    My favorite toppings are tomatoes (when they are fresh,) carrots, olives, cauliflower, and honey raosted almond slivers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it at our Kroger or Meijer in the fresh produce section. It's usually by fresh romaine and the greens like kale--hope you find it! I love all your fresh toppings!!

      Delete
  8. I love salads. We use Romaine and spinach a lot. I love putting dried cranberries and almonds in my salads too. Hubby always dices an apple to toss in when he makes them. Nice blend of sweet and crunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love dried cherries and nuts in my salad, too, Lisa! Mm-mm!

      Delete
  9. I like this idea, Jill. I've used Napa cabbage for some things, but I'm going to have to try this. As I begin the journey through mid-life I'm finding a greater need to watch what I eat. Having salad fixings ready is a great idea.

    Some of our favorite salads are a steak salad, with marinaded steak that is cooked, some diced cooked potatoes, tomatoes and a mustard vinaigrette dressing. Hmmm, now I want that for supper. :)

    Thanks for sharing your tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your steak salad sounds fabulous--I'm writing it down!! Thanks!

      Delete
  10. Oh! I never thought of using Napa Cabbage. I typically do spring greens - but I am SO doing this! Lately I've been doing my spring greens, chopped up pear, dried cherries and goat cheese--I am a sucker for goat cheese!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a sucker for goat cheese, too, Susan. It's so versatile. I tossed a lovely Greek salad together Sunday with some!

      Delete
  11. I've never heard of Napa cabbage, but I'm looking forward to giving it a try. Great ideas here, Jill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! I've found several new-to-me vegetables over the years, usually by watching cooking shows! Hope you try it!

      Delete
  12. I have to be in the mood for salad. I like spinach salads and I'm not a big fan of any dressing. I'm picky, what can I say?

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!