Monday, July 15, 2013

Writing Lessons from Frisbee Golf

My son and I needed something to do over Easter break, and we were so tired of being stuck inside that we didn't care the temperature was 49 degrees. We bought discs, headed to the nearest frisbee golf course, and had a blast!

June brought tons of rain--plus I barely left the house due to my writing schedule--so last Friday, my son and I gladly took advantage of the sunny weather to play another round. Again, we loved it. This time we tried different throwing techniques. My son excels at the overhand throw, while my underhand roll helped get the disc farther. It reminded me of my evolution with writing.

When I first started writing, I simply fired up the computer and wrote. I wasn't worried about word counts or pre-writing or grammar. It was about getting a story down on paper. The same with frisbee golf--I didn't worry about proper technique--I simply threw the disc and hoped it would eventually make it into the chains!

As my writing progressed, I tried various plotting methods, studied grammar, and paid attention to my word count. I wanted to not just write a book--I wanted to write a good book. With frisbee golf, I wanted to make it in the basket with fewer attempts. This meant using different grips, paying attention to the wind direction, and focusing before throwing.

My son is far, far better at this game than I am. But why compare? I can only work on my own game. Writing is the same way. Why worry about other authors? I can only improve my own writing.

At the end of the day, if we want to get better at something, we have to focus, be willing to accept that our first way might not be the best method, try different approaches, and put the blinders on to the other players. And we have to practice, practice, practice!

Have you tried a new activity lately? If yes, did you enjoy it? If no, why not?

Have a wonderful Monday!!

13 comments:

  1. Sounds fun! The only time I played Frisbee golf was on the Wii! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Wii Frisbee golf--there are puppies! :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds fun! There is a Frisbee golf course(?) just down from my house. I should try it some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great activity. Takes us about an hour to get through 18 holes, and we get a cardio workout with all the walking!

      Delete
  3. Wonderfully good stuff today, Jill. Everything changed for me writing-wise when I started focusing on learning the craft...plus, I think I'm someone who craves guidance and direction, so once I started focusing on learning, I didn't feel quite so aimless in my writing journey. :)

    As for a new activity...um, I'm realizing I haven't really tried anything new lately. But now I want to! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Melissa. Once I read writing craft books, got critiques, and got the tools to improve my writing, everything changed! Let me know if you try something new!

      Delete
  4. Yes, tried something new and had a blast!!
    I had no clue there was such a thing as Frisbee golf! My kids would love that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you!! And, yes, active kids will love Frisbee golf!

      Delete
  5. I have a lot of friends who live frisbee golf. I'm not sure we have any good courses here, though. I'll have to look into it.

    And like Mel, I'm not sure if I've tried anything new lately. Might be good to shake things up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really fun! We aren't serious about it, and that helps. ;) Have fun!!

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry,I haven't heard of Frisbee Golf. My times of trying something new are in the past. I am not as adventuresome as I was in my youth/younger years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even though I've never played Frisbee Golf (or knew that it existed), I totally get your point here! Just like singing, everyone has their own style and approach to produce their unique voice. If I try to sound like someone else, then I'll never find my own voice. Making books and making music - it's essential to play to our unique, God-given strengths to produce beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When my daughter and son-in-laws families get together, we have the time of our lives. We call them redneck holidays (sorry folks, no insults meant) We water ski in a pond behind a lawn mower. "Ski" around the yard on snow shovels behind a mower. Sit in broken plastic outside chairs and play volleyball, not allowed to get out of the chair. Can you imagine balancing on three legs and trying to hit the ball. And you thought frisbees were fun!!! Let me tell you, we have FUN! And BTW, lest anyone wonder, we don't drink anything but pop and lemonade. This is just plain insanity let loose.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!