Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Overdone Pins in My Pinterest Feed

Lately I haven't been as engaged on Pinterest, and I took forty-seven seconds to figure out why. Is it the layout? No. I like that I can scroll down forever. It's the trends in my feed.



My Pinterest feed has become saturated with DIY project pictures leading back to blogs. Some of these are cool, and I click through. But there can be too much of a good thing. :)

I miss simple pictures. Where did the untouched photographs go? And what if I just want to waste some time and not take on a major project? Pinterest has begun to make me feel inadequate--as if I need more of that in my life! Ha!

 

*The trends on MY Pinterest feed aren't the same as the ones on yours because we don't follow the same people.*


My feed is full of pins that trigger the following:



a. A fleeting desire to create closet organizers out of PVC piping

b. The urge to find out the Six Tricks to a Flat Stomach

c. A scrunched up nose at How to Make Fondant

d. Annoyance at anything having to do with wooden pallets

e. Guilt that I didn't announce my pregnancies with elaborate, staged photo sessions

f. Despair about the super-cute clothes either completely unaffordable or beyond wrong for my body

g. Dismay at even thinking of painting any piece of my furniture. Apparently this is only to be attempted by master furniture gurus. We're talking high-level security, sirens-will-go-off if you dare consider painting an end-table.

h. Squinty-eyes wondering why anyone would take a beautiful photo and manipulate the colors to such unnatural proportions. What was wrong with it to begin with?

i. The snarky thought: How long will the gluten-free phase last? Six more months? Twelve?

j. Why are we thinking about back-to-school organization in mid-July? I don't like to think of that until two days before school is in session. Or two days after.

I love Pinterest. Still waste plenty of time there. But I will not be making furniture out of pallets, nor will I be attempting homemade fondant or jewelry organizers. I might skim the flat-tummy article, but I will in no way, shape, or form actually do the exercises. Painting furniture? Will a secret security sect strike me dead if I don't follow the proper tips? I'll leave it to the professionals.

Are you on Pinterest? What pins grab you? What would you like to see less of?

Have a fabulous Wednesday!

18 comments:

  1. I joined and then I stopped because I saw it as another online addiction for me and I didn't have that much time. My daughter goes there a lot and finds projects but there is such a thing as overload and too much or a good thing! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So funny! I know--online addiction is a good term! I rarely spend more than 15 minutes on Pinterest, so it's not a bad thing for me. :)

      Delete
  2. If you want a happy little time waster, try Stumble Upon. You can set up likes and interests or randomly surf the web. Unlike Pinterest where most users just repin without visiting the actual website, Stumble Upon takes you there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely over seeing the pallets. I also can't help but laugh when someone pins something about losing weight and then posts ten recipes for chocolate cake. :) I go back and forth on pinterest. Some days it's fun, and some days it just feels like we're dreaming about living different, magazine-looking lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree! "Different, magazine-looking lives" sums it up. I'm totally addicted to magazines, so I can't judge, but magazines usually inspire me, whereas Pinterest makes me feel like I should be doing something. Stupid, I know!

      Delete
  4. True story: I have a Pinterest account. Someone else manages it for me. HA! I am not at all crafty, I don't have time to cook amazing things, and I really don't care about the latest diets and exercise trends...so I've just never had any interest. That said, I LOVE a hilarious pin...so now and then I'll stop by Pinterest just to get a good laugh. But yeah, if I spend too much time perusing home improvement pins or crafty pins or crazy-good-looking food pins, I just end up feeling less-than. Which is probably more my problem than Pinterest's problem, but oh well...lol!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too funny! I love the funny pins, too! I'm glad I'm not the only one with the "less-than" issue!!

      Delete
  5. Great thoughts, Jill! Not on Pinterest yet, though I can see the appeal. And therein lies the problem--for me, just now anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not crafty. I've never been crafty. Glue guns laugh maniacally when they see me coming. Yet suddenly I'm getting the urge to make vases out of buttons and to crochet random objects for grandbabies I don't even HAVE yet (nor hope to have for quite some time). Pinterest...a necessary evil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Pinterest feeds my inner craft lady, but that lady doesn't have the skills required! :) A necessary evil, indeed.

      Delete
  7. I like the comedy pins, and I like to get SIMPLE dinner ideas:) Oh, and I like to look at clothing ideas, but yeah, never afford what they're showing. Ooh, and character faces, those are fun to find. But I am so far from crafty I ignore anything that's even remotely related!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay strong and keep ignoring them! :) Your tastes and mine are similar!

      Delete
  8. Exactly! I'm a school teacher so July is my month of fun and frolic, and Pinterest is responsible for painted vases, painted and "shabby chic-ed" frames, antique door turned desk, chalkboards and bulletin boards galore...I've turned my grown daughter's room into craft room! Meanwhile my coffee table is loaded with school books just waiting for me to get busy. Hobby or obsession? When I found myself walking through the house with a can of spray paint, I realized that my new obsession could be worthy of a Stephen King treatment...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the term "July is my month of fun and frolic." What a delightful way to put it! Yeah, I have the same obsession. It's not pretty!! Have fun!!

      Delete
  9. What IS it about those pallets?! I see that everywhere. Fun post, Jill! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! Call me lazy, but I don't want to make furniture out of anything, let alone pallets!! Ha!

      Delete

I love to hear from you!