Monday, July 22, 2013

Another Guilty Pleasure: Writers' Workspaces

InStyle magazine originally featured two celebrity homes in each new issue. I subscribed for years just to see these rooms. It's not that I don't like fashion and makeup, but the real draw was the peek into stars' lives. Somewhere along the way, InStyle changed, and now it only sporadically shares celebrity rooms, which explains why I rarely purchase the mag. Bummer.


What hasn't changed? My gravitation to photographs of how other people live. I was so excited to find The UK's online publication, The Guardian, has a terrific segment archived under "Culture," "Books," and  "Writer's Rooms." Skim through dozens of writers who share pictures and essays of their offices. Prepare to get addicted!

Gillian Slovo's office grabbed me. You can see it here, "Writer's Rooms: Gillian Slovo." The sheer volume of desk area made me salivate!

What I love about the office? (Click on the above link to see the photo.)

Compact. Two windows with transoms above. The view appears to be the neighbor's brick wall, but a cute little gate is visible too. An enormous bulletin board is within easy reach of the chair, and it's filled with pictures. Bookshelves line the walls. Cute knickknacks reflect the author's whimsical side.

The room obviously functions well, as evidenced by the filing cabinets, printer, and office supplies in easy reach. It's like a perfect little cave of creativity. I could write in this space!

This summer I'm taking a cue from teachers and putting new art on my bulletin board. I'm rearranging my pictures and knickknacks. It's up to us to create an inviting workspace!

Are you fascinated with other writers' workspaces? Describe your ideal office!

Have a fantastic Monday!

10 comments:

  1. I'm also salivating! Chaotic mess... my ideal workspace! Thanks for sharing....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! I love controlled clutter surrounding me. I have shelves and piles and bins--it's wonderful!!

      Delete
  2. Yes, SO fascinated by others' writing spaces...and sometimes jealous. Bad me! :) But I am really thankful to have a whole room just for writing...it has a nice big desk, bookshelves, a big markerboard...

    My ideal writing space would still have the big desk and markerboard. But I'd add a sweet view out the window, a comfy chair in the corner and a fireplace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so thankful to have my own room, too, Melissa. I haven't always had that! I'm thinking of adding a white board. If I could add a comfy chair/couch and a fireplace, I would!

      Delete
  3. Windows. Lots and lots of windows! I want to feel like I'm outside only with comfy heat in winter and blessed air in summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've decided I'm better off with fewer windows. I'm a daydreamer, what can I say? :)

      Delete
  4. I would like to have more storage space that I could get to easily.
    I also need to learn to be neater with my stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you! I had to search for some old paperwork yesterday, and it was such a pain getting to the boxes. Ugh!!

      Delete
  5. Hey lady, I love that I've had the pleasure of seeing your office! Where the magic happens.

    We are working on my new one. Trim is on, trim paint there. Just need a floor. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks!! Yes--it's magical! :) I can't wait to see pictures of your new writing space. You're going to love it!!

      Delete

I love to hear from you!