Friday, July 25, 2014

Author Photos!! And Tips For a Productive Session

I had such a great time getting new author pictures taken yesterday! A HUGE thank you to Sarah Paull for her patience, mad camera skills, and eye for interesting poses!

I'm sharing my favorite photos with you today. I had a really hard time picking favorites! They were all so pretty!

1.


2.


3.


4.



5.


6.


I'm really impressed with the variety of poses and settings Sarah used. I had a great time--it feels so good to have pretty pictures for my website again!

Jill's Tips for a productive AND fun photo shoot if you're heading outdoors:

1. Try on a variety of outfits with accessories before the shoot. Bring one or two changes of clothes (make sure there's a bathroom for changing!). I wore a white T-shirt, swapped accessories, and added a blazer for different looks. I also brought a dressy spring outfit and a bright sweater with jeans. This gives me options for the seasons. Put a bag of outfits together the night before.

2. Select a park that has interesting features. The one we chose has a huge brick mansion, formal gardens, a river, a boardwalk, a covered wooden bridge, an uncovered wooden bridge, brick walls, a gazebo, and tons of trees/flowers/lawn.

3. Take 15-20 pictures (both close-ups and full body) in each outfit and try at least two settings for each outfit.

4. Outdoor shots depend on light. If some shots seem too dark or shadowy, edit them in a photo editor. Don't be afraid to use effects to salvage dark pictures! Here's one I love--and it now has a retro-fifties look to it!


5. Since we chose a venue with plenty of options and one with a bathroom close by, we were able to move pretty quickly. We got about 100 pictures taken in one hour. And that's with three changes of clothes. Not bad!


Have you ever been part of a photo shoot? 

Have a wonderful weekend!!

19 comments:

  1. What fab photos, Jill, and great tips! Is there a way to edit/blur features in a background that are less than desirable?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there is, but I've never tried it! PicMonkey has a ton of different effects. Play around!

      Delete
  2. Great photos, Jill! And I'm so impressed with your ability to look serious in some of them. I cannot take serious photos. I either burst out laughing or end up looking angry. LOL! Yours are great!

    And yes, I've been part of a photo shoot. A few times...getting my picture taken is soooo not my thing, but I like watching photographers work and figure out light and poses and backgrounds. So the fun of seeing them at work gets me through. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa! I'm terrible at pictures. Seriously. No clue where the hands go. Teeth everywhere. Yikes! But Sarah did an amazing job--I'm very grateful!

      Delete
  3. These are great pictures, Jill! It will be hard to pick one out. And thanks for sharing the helpful tips for photo shoots. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth! I avoid the whole picture thing, so having this done is a huge weight off my shoulders! Not sure why it's so intimidating. :)

      Delete
  4. oh yes, I've done photos...just had family ones taken for my parents anniversary on the beach. Oh boy. I also had a few for my blog done two years ago and my tip? I had a good friend who plays ( I say play but she's so good!) take them which helped me relax. I love your tips too! But I must admit, I hate having the camera aimed in my direction. Hate. It.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, happy anniversary to your parents! Yes, relaxing is the key! It's nice when a friend helps out!!

      Delete
  5. Great pics! I love that bridge pic and number 5, but they are all great! Thanks for sharing hints!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather!! I plan on using number 5 as my profile pic later this year, so I'm glad you like it!

      Delete
  6. I know I'm two days late. I was sequestered at a nice B and B writing for all I was worth. :) Now I'm back in real life and I saw your blogpost.

    First of all, you are SO photogenic. Your photos are beautiful! Secondly, I love the tips you shared. I had author photos taken by the amazing Amy Drown last summer. We went to a college campus here in town, and she got some amazing shots with great backdrops.

    I brought a couple outfits and jackets. I wore a cami that went with a couple different tops and a jacket and sweater. And a couple necklaces. It was way fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jill:
    Which one did you pick? I like number 5 and number 6.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm using #1 for now! But I'll be using the other ones on my website. Thanks!!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful photos, Jill!!!
    My dad is a nature photographer, but he took my author photos last summer. He took 250+ photos so a few had turn out from that amount! Great tips. I also had a few different outfits too which is nice so you can have a variety for social media as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your pictures are stunning, Kelly! That's awesome you can have your dad do them. Family time, right? :) Thanks!!

      Delete
  9. Beautifull... wonderfull blue eyes, girl, remind'n me of Seventh-Heaven where we shall be soon. Say, ya know what’s incredible? Because I was an actual NDE on the outskirts of the Great Beyond at 15 yet wasn’t allowed in, lemme share with you what I actually know Seventh-Heaven's gonna be like for us: meet this ultra-bombastic, ex-mortal-Upstairs for the most-extra-blatant-and-groovy, pleasure-beyond-measure, Ultra-Yummy-Reality-Addiction in the Great Beyond for a BIG-ol, kick-ass, party-hardy, eternal-warp-drive you DO NOT wanna miss the sink-your-teeth-in-the-smmmokin’-hot-deal. YES! For God, anything and everything and more! is possible!! Cya soon.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!