Monday, September 8, 2014

Ugh! I Felt Like an Idiot

My daughter runs cross country for her high school. The cross country team is more of a cross country family; they're very supportive of each other and have a lot of fun.



Before each meet, a family hosts a team potluck. And during each meet, two or three families join forces to provide food and drinks. Cross country meets can be all-day affairs, and the runners have to be careful what they eat before their race. Providing food and beverages takes some of the stress off the kids and allows them to focus on running. I signed up to assist with food last weekend.

We have several "wow" parents on this team. They're the parents who've had kids in cross country for years. They are pros at organizing food. They know where to go, what to bring, and how to make the process go smoothly. I was really thrilled to be helping one such family. They brought a huge pop-up tent, tarps for the kids to sit on, two portable tables, a trash can, and tons of healthy snacks. They also brought butane burners to cook chicken and noodles for the kids! I was impressed!

My job was to bring all the beverages, two coolers with ice, and desserts. The meet was an hour and a half away, and smaller schools had been racing all morning. This meant the parking situation would be grim. Our races didn't start until 3pm, but I left at 11:00am to be safe.

As I neared the park entrance, traffic was stopped. Cars lined the streets for a good mile. Most meets I've been to have one main entrance, so when the parking lot is full, you can't hold up traffic but must drive through and park elsewhere. I was able to inch my car within a block of the entrance. On a grassy area in front of a sidewalk, I unloaded both coolers, extra cases of water and Gatorade, and my chair, mini-cooler, and bag of desserts. Then I turned around and parked less than a mile away.

Now I had to find the tent. I texted the mom in charge of the food, but I couldn't get a hold of her. I figured I'd pull all my stuff into the park and have either our students or the other family help me carry everything to the tent. But...I had no idea where they'd set up.

Carrying the case of water a quarter mile into the park about killed me. The case of Gatorade wasn't bad. But the cooler without wheels? I was drenched in sweat by the time I managed to get it to the entrance. I dragged the other one in, sat on it, and contemplated how out-of-shape I was. Seriously, my face was on fire, and my shirt was wet from perspiration.

Just then, the school bus with our cross country team pulled up. The coach hopped off and put one of the coolers on the bus, but a traffic director yelled at us to keep it moving. The coach helped me carry the other cooler through the park to the tent. Again, this taxed my poor, out-of-shape body, but I made it without having a stroke.

When we got to the tent, I realized you could actually drive around the entire park. I could have driven straight to the tent, unloaded, and THEN found a parking spot a mile away. Ugh! I felt like an idiot!!

Oh well, I got the drinks there--that's the important thing. We stayed for six hours of races, and I was amazed at how many teams fit in this park. Almost 600 girls ran in my daughter's race, and around 8000 kids compete throughout the day. What a cool experience to watch!

I'm still sore. My back is crying a little. (Okay, a lot!) But it was worth it. And now I know what to do next year...

Have you ever felt like an idiot because you didn't have enough information to make a good decision? 

Have a terrific day!

8 comments:

  1. That sure does bring back memories! I remember when my oldest ran cross country for four years in high school. Hubby and I attended every meet (except the really far, out-of-state ones, since we still had young kids at home). I was the principal attendee, and I know it meant a lot to my son. With a son in his teens, it's nice to have something for mom and son to share. XC is a wonderful, time-consuming, bonding, anxiety-producing, thrilling experience. The team really is a family, and the kids are great with each other, and support even the new and/or slow ones, unlike some other sports.

    I've been a food provider, course monitor, timer, chute monitor (when the racers bunch up in the "chute" at the end to get their place markers - don't want one shoving past another and changing the order they placed). And of course I've also helped with fund-raising: car washes, Christmas wreaths...

    Get ready for a wild ride, Jill! You'll be driving to parts of your county and surrounding areas you've never seen before. Enjoy! ;)

    ~Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, you're one of those "wow" parents I mentioned! It's so awesome to be able to help (and be around) our high schoolers, and I'm in awe of how hard they work at this sport. P.S. The "chute" was insane last weekend. :)

      Delete
  2. Jill: I prefer NOT to give out misinformation. Hubby has a friend who is in his 90's who told us one of our local apple orchards wasn't going to have apples this year. We heard on the TV something similar, statewide. Hubby had me call the place today. Yes, they were open and yes, they had apples. I had passed on the information we had received to one of my closest friends. I had to call her and apologize for doin this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done that too!! And then I've been embarrassed. It's the worst!! I'm so glad you double-checked, because fresh apples this time of year are delightful. :)

      Delete
  3. Yes...I ran cross-country in high school, and one race I didn't study the course quite well enough.

    I liked to lead from the start, and managed to get the whole field following me into places where runners were not supposed to go. The course wasn't monitored (this was a LONG time ago) and I ended up making up my own course of an estimated correct length...through backyards and down bridle paths and across a fast-flowing creek.

    Kind of the Pied Piper from the Nut House.

    http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm laughing out loud at this one!! The Pied Piper!! Too funny! I'm sure you didn't think it was funny at the time, though! Thanks for making me laugh!

      Delete

I love to hear from you!