Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Autumn Urgency? Not Yet!

I'm not feeling the fall season yet. Sure, the kids are back in school. Yes, football is back on television. But the temperatures have been hotter (much hotter!) for three weeks than they were in July and early August. I'm feeling more of a lazy-late-summer vibe than the typical autumn urgency.



I know I'm in the minority on this. How do I know? On Facebook I keep seeing references to how many weeks are left until Christmas. *shuddering* And Pinterest is full of fall decorating pins, pumpkin spice recipes, and, yes, Christmas ideas.

It's not that I'm against autumn--I'm not! I love this time of year. Love the pretty leaves sailing down from the trees. Love the crisp air, long walks through the woods, wrapping up in a cozy blanket, slow-cooked chili. Yep. Autumn is awesome.

But let me get out of my shorts first. :)

Have you been bitten by the autumn bug? Please tell me you don't have Christmas fever yet!!

Have a terrific day!

8 comments:

  1. Technically, Summer isn't over until the Autumnal Equinox 23. September. So enjoy! I'l be dragged kicking and screaming into Fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew!! I have a few weeks... And I'll be dragged kicking and screaming, too, now that I hear winter will likely be WORSE than last year. I didn't think it was even possible!!

      Delete
  2. Jill: I always felt bad about the 'premature' tradition of decorating the stores for Christmas just as Halloween ends. When I worked in a library, the reference librarian summed up what became my outlook on the issue, "We celebrate one holiday at a time." Between now and Christmas, my hubby has a birthday, we have a wedding anniversary. There is Thanksgiving. Friends of ours have five birthdays between Dec 1st and Christmas; they celebrate each one individually. For me, I take each day as it comes-- and that includes the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your method--celebrate one thing at a time. And you have a LOT to celebrate between now and Christmas! Happy anniversary!!

      Delete
  3. I'm so not ready for Christmas but I looooove autumn. I honestly wish autumn lasted like four or five months instead of its usual fleeting couple months. It's my favorite time of year. I love the sense of change...and I love all things fall-ish (bonfires, apple orchards, pumpkin patches, apple cider, all of it). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it lasted longer too. Winter around here lasts FOREVER. I prefer fall!! And we have a delightful apple orchard within 10 minutes of us. Can't wait to go soon!!

      Delete
  4. Hey, Jill! Not really bitten by the autumn bug yet. We had a mild summer ... so it just really started feeling like summer two weeks ago. I'm starting to see leaves falling on the back porch, but that is just from the dryness ... not fall. However, I did hear that temps are to drop this coming week. I usually get bit by the autumn bug when I see those pumpkins for sale. The big ones!

    And I see that your book is coming out April 2015 ... I'm so excited for you ... and for me! Can't wait to read it.

    Blessings, Shelli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Shelli!! I feel the same as you--I'll be ready for fall when it gets cooler and the pumpkins come out. :)

      Delete

I love to hear from you!