Monday, September 9, 2013

The Panic Before a Writing Conference

Lists. Heartburn. Unfinished laundry. Random papers everywhere. Weight gain from chocolate. No, it isn't the week before Christmas. It's even better! It's time for ACFW's annual conference!



Why do I get so wound up? I have no idea. It's ridiculous!

Maybe I'm nervy due to my life being in a busy phase. I'm afraid I'll forget something important. I don't envy my hubby for the weekend he has ahead! We are definitely a divide-and-conquer couple.

Pitching my novel also contributes to the tension. The fact I have trouble sleeping when overexcited has me a little frayed too. And, as much as I caution myself don't butt into conversations, don't accost the author you're dying to meet, don't act like a moron...I know--deep down know--I will butt into conversations, accost the author(s) I'm dying to meet, and yes, I'll act like a moron.

One thing I'm not stressed about? The ride there. I really enjoy driving by myself. I get to indulge in a large coffee with triple cream, quadruple sugar, and no one is there to judge me. The radio? All mine. I can sing at the top of my lungs or let my mind wander. Good times!

I'm taking a week off of blogging, but I'll be back next Wednesday with a full update.

What stresses you out most about a conference or business trip?

Have a wonderful week!!


15 comments:

  1. Good luck, Jill, and ENJOY! (I know what you mean about driving). ;)

    I know you'll knock em dead (figuratively). And everyone's going to be excited, and possibly a little goofy. This is outside most folks' comfort zones in some way or other.

    Can't wait to hear all about it when you get back!

    Hugs,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. packing! Once I have everything in the suitcase, I'm good but going through my lists of must-haves and my lists of if-theres-room and managing to get it all inside - STRESS!

    Good luck at the conference - I just know you'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last night I woke up in the middle of the night with pitches running through my head. Uggg. I hope we both get some sleep this week! I'm so excited to meet you, Jill. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. SOOO excited to see you, Jill.

    I've been stressed and overwhelmed the last couple weeks, lots due to the conference and to other stuff going on. But I decided over the weekend, I'm done with that. This conference is one of my FAVORITE times of the year! I don't want to let busyness or to-do lists keep me from having the best possible time. So I'm entering these next couple days of packing and preparing with renewed excitement. It's going to be a blast!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm flying. That stresses me out a little. I'm also leaving my five-year-old with Grandma. They'll be fine, but I'll miss him like crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, alone time in the car is great for preparing my mind and and heart ahead of time and then re-entering the everyday world afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah!!! It's this week!!! I just get overwhelmed with everything there is to do, in the midst of working full-time and making sure my husband has food to eat, etc. :) I'm sooooo excited to see everyone, though! It really snuck up on me this year for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like an exciting time. Good luck at the conference.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all so much for your encouragement!! You make me smile!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't worry, Jill...we all feel pretty much the same way. I'm always afraid I'm going to butt into conversations, too... because I'm never sure if I'm going to run into that person again! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL! I know how you feel. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So far, I'm not too stressed about this one, mostly because I don't plan to pitch anything. I'm just looking forward to meeting people & networking. Of course, if God presents an opportunity, that would be fine too. :-)

    I suppose it's because I only found out I'd be able to go less than 3 weeks ago so I figure it's all in God's hands anyway.

    Like you, Jill, I am also looking forward to the drive. It's only 2 1/2 hours for me, but the ride home will be especially nice, as I review all that happened over the weekend.

    Here's hoping you have excellent responses when you pitch & a few surprises along the way. Good surprises, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jill, you should also add the EASY button for those panic moments. I'm sure you're doing fine!
    Ellie K.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!