Monday, September 23, 2013

Autumn Thoughts in Hot Weather

Hmm... Notice anything strange lately? It's past mid-September, and it's still pretty warm in my neck of the woods! Usually I would be wearing jeans and a long-sleeve tee. Maybe a hoodie. But right now I'm hot. Humid hot. I'm wearing shorts every day and not even thinking about packing my flip-flops away. What is this strange phenomenon?


The unusually warm weather has not stopped me from dreaming of autumn. Colorful leaves, crisp air, apple orchards, hot cocoa, curling up with a good book and a blanket--I anticipate them all. Yes, I love fall!

Tons of swoon-worthy reading spots have popped up in Pinterest lately. Cozy, overstuffed chairs next to a fireplace get me every time. Or the table settings with pumpkins and lit candles--yes, I'll take one of those. Pie recipes, chili recipes, and biscuit recipes have me drooling.

Magazine covers beg me to buy them. Halloween candy beckons at the supermarket. Let's not forget about harvest festivals and trick-or-treating. Football is in full swing, and I make a lot (A LOT) of nachos in October and November. Why not?

The only thing I get a bit sad about is the waning sunlight. Our days grow really short around here. Gone are my long walks outdoors. Hello, moon, at 6pm!

This morning Sophie, my mini-dachshund, trotted into the living room with a brown leaf in her mouth. Then she proceeded to shred it to bits. Even she loves fall! And I have a feeling the cooler weather is right around the corner...

What do you love about autumn? What don't you love?

Have a terrific day!

11 comments:

  1. I adore autumn! I've been going to stores and sniffing the fall-scented candles, lol. Unfortunately, when I venture back outside, it still feels like summer. Hot, muggy days and nights. I would love to wear my boots right now.

    My favorite part of fall is cozying up with a great book and a cup of pumpkin spice latte or cinnamon tea. My least favorite part of fall is, well, can't think of one right now ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! Fall-scents. I love apple-pie and cinnamon candles! :)

      Delete
  2. I love much of what you listed. There's that scent of wood smoke in the air, intense blue skies, lots of color. I don't like losing the sunlight. It's always warm here in Missouri during September and October. Leave start to turn about the 3rd week of October. Our first frost usually happens in November. Our winter is short, thankfully, end of December through February and spring and winter generally duke it out for supremacy during March, lol! I'm still not ready for winter, darn it. :-)

    Sia McKye Over Coffee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all the fall colors too! Our leaves turn earlier here--usually around the end of September. It's so pretty! :)

      Delete
  3. I lovelovelove leaving the windows open at night so I can snuggle under a warm quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! There's nothing better than a warm blanket and a cool breeze. :)

      Delete
  4. LOVE LOVE LOVE fall! Salted caramel mocha's, comfy clothes, pumpkin donuts..and all the gorgeous colors exploding outside?! My favorite time of the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too! We have the best orchards here. You can always get a delicious homemade donut. Yum!!

      Delete
  5. Jill, this is my favorite time of year! You've listed so many things about fall that I love. Around our house, we all get excited when I pull out the fall decorations - I have 4 bins of them! (I have 8 bins of Christmas decorations, LOL).

    Thanks for a fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Living on a New Mexican mesa, what I love most about fall is that the flies start to die off. It's open range here, and the flies come with the cows.

    The part I don't like to think about is that winter is coming. We run a sanctuary for abandoned dogs, and winter means reluctant walkies and cold paws, but is partially relieved by the sight of half a dozen elderly Pit Bulls snoring in front of the fireplace. Now if I could only get them to split wood...

    http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't really like dew on the grass in the morning, but other than that, there isn't anything about fall that I don't love! Other than maybe it goes by too fast here.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!