Wednesday, July 22, 2009

What Agents Want: RWA National Conference 2009

At RWA Nationals, I was fortunate enough to listen to a panel of agents tell exactly what they're looking for right now. It was interesting to hear what's hot and what's not. Also, I couldn't help but get the scoop from other writers. Whether they learned something from an agent pitch or their published friend, they shared the latest info.

Paranormal is still really huge. Almost every agent wants paranormal. However, I'm going to hone in on the bits and pieces I gleaned from them. (This is only my opinion based on the comments I listened to in workshops.) There's an oversaturation of writers emulating the Twilight series. Agents are getting bombarded with vampire stories, but many of the books aren't original. So yes, keep sending paranormals, but try to set yourself apart with a truly unique idea, and maybe stay away from vampires for a while.

Next wave of the future? STEAM PUNK. I heard this term over and over from agents. They see the next hot trend as steam punk aimed at young adults. Think historical settings with steam-powered modern technology. If you're confused about this, rent Wild Wild West.

Also, post-apocalyptic thrillers, like Cloverfield, seemed to excite a few agents.

For all you inspirational writers out there: do your agent research. Four out of six agents on a panel I listened to specifically said they DO NOT WANT INSPIRATIONAL. It seems to be a hot-button genre. Either the agents want it or they don't. And many agents don't. So please, verify what genres the agent represents before you query. Why waste your time and theirs?

Historical is still hot. Chick-lit is not. If you're writing contemporary romance, you need to have a high concept or "upmarket women's contemporary fiction" to get someone to take a chance on you right now. Upmarket women's fiction is a more literary story. Think Jodi Picoult, not Sophie Kinsella. (Although both are tremendous writers!)

As always, every agent is looking for an extremely well-written book. So don't be afraid to take a chance with a lukewarm genre if your writing is phenomenal. They want fresh ideas and great writing.

If you have any questions about this topic, please ask. I don't know all the answers, but I'll be happy to share anything I learned.

Happy Writing!

24 comments:

  1. Wow, Jill, you listened and took in lots! Thanks so much for sharing.

    It's funny, watching all the previews at the theatre last week I realized how inundated we will be getting with sci-fi, paranormal flicks this fall. Guess the book industry is following Hollywood's rage.

    I've heard the vampire thing is getting overdone too. But I really did enjoy the Twilight series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, Jill. I guess we should all rest easy knowing that even if we are writing within a luke warm genre now, it might be hot in a year. And our hopeful publication comes back to how we need to make sure our writing is as close to perfect as we can get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was fun to read what's hot and what's not in the writing world. I'm all over the upmarket women's fiction (not so much b/c it's what's hot, but b/c I love it).

    Thanks for the info.!
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. What Wendy said!

    Drop by to read an interview with a writing master if you get a chance today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, thanks for that! Yeah, in querying I've noticed that not a whole lot of agents want inspirational. Interesting about Steam Punk. I could see that being very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing, it's nice to get the latest scoop right from the pros!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, thank you, Lisa, for sharing with us. It is always nice to be able to follow the latest trends. :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sort of confused about upmarket women's fiction...could you take another stab at explaining that one to me? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Morning!

    Eileen: I know! It happens whenever something takes the world by storm--writers see an opportunity and want to cash in. Unfortunately, agents don't want a rip-off, they want fresh and genius even if it is the same genre.

    Heather: What's hot now will be lukewarm in a year or two. This business is cyclical. If agents aren't responding to your current book because of the genre, let it sit a year or two. It might be the next big thing!

    Wendy: When I heard upmarket women's fiction, I thought of you. You've got to query these agents! They want it!

    Angie: will do!

    Jessica: True. Inspirational is a love it or hate it genre.

    Joanne: You're telling me! It was so interesting hearing it from them!

    Ralene: It's hard for me to follow the trends unless I hear it from the pros. The conference was so enlightening!

    Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Katie: I'll take a stab, but I can't promise to nail it! Let's see. You know how Helen Fielding came out with Bridget Jone's Diary? The market became flooded with all these quirky, light chick-lit books?

    Well, upmarket women's fiction is still contemporary women's fiction, but without the light and quirky. It's deep and it's extremely well written. Very literary. Kristen Nelson, a literary agent, gives a good explanation over at her blog. I'm going to post the link here:
    http://pubrants.blogspot.com/2008/02/paranormal-to-upmarket-womens-fiction.html

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks! That's actually what I write! So yay! I don't write the light hearted stuff. Mine digs deep into emotions. Whether it's well-written is yet to be determined. ;) Thanks for the explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Katie from that little you let me read, your's definitely falls in this category! Run with it.

    Sorry, Jill, hope you don't mind me bouncing back here, but I'm procrastinating. Slapping hand now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Melissa: I'm so thankful to the agents for sharing! I couldn't wait to come back and spread the info!

    Katie: No prob! Here are two agents you might want to check into--Holly Root, Waxman Literary Agency and Emmanuelle Alspaugh, Judith Ehrlich Literary Agency.

    Eileen: I love it that you came back! And, yeah, I procrastinate online too.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, you gleaned a lot of helpful information. Thank you for sharing it here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you learned some great info. trends! And I'm realizing just how important it is to know what is selling. Thanks for sharing your insights!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, good to know! Thanks for sharing.

    Bleh, I am so tired of vampire books. They're everywhere because of Twilight. I am not bought just because a book has a vampire in it.

    Hmmm, I think steampunk would be really hard to write. I should go find some good steampunk novels.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Erica: Gladly!

    Jody: Yes, me too. It's good to know the trends, but it's also important to write to our strengths. If they happen to mesh, all the better!

    Icy Roses: I'd bet you'd be awesome at steam punk!

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good to know. Still, I think we have to write what we write best and let it fall where it may. Many have told me historical fiction is not in hot demand in the childrens market right now, but it's what I love so I write and hope it finds its home. If I try to bend my writing to the trends, I think it would ring less true. does that make any sense?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jill: This is excellent info. Thanks for sharing with us instead of keeping it under your bushel!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for sharing. :) I adore Steam Punk--can't write it, but it's fun to read. :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. I guess if you wrote what is selling, great. If what you have finished is somethng else, one just has to check the markets carefully.
    You have made a lot of people happy with this information. It's not what I write, but maybe some day it will be.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Tess: Oh, I agree 100%! Four of six agents said "NO INSPY." Do I care? No. I don't write paranormal, steam punk, or upmarket women's fiction. I write light, quirky inspirational romance. It's who I am and I don't plan on jumping on the trend bandwagon. But for all those writers who are writing these things, it's nice to know, isn't it?

    Jeanette: Hey, we have to look out for each other, don't we!

    Danyelle: I'm excited someone has actually heard of it. I had NO idea what it was!

    Nancy: Yes, watch the markets and don't be afraid to resubmit something in the future which isn't hot now.

    Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Jill - thanks for the info! You rock, sister!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!