Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Why New Author Photos Are Time Eaters

It's been over four years since I had professional author photos taken. Two years since I forced my kids to take pictures of me with our basic digital camera. I decided it's time to get new pictures.

*Time consuming tasks? I'd rather be in Saugatuck, Michigan.

There's a reason I don't get new photos very often. Well, there are several reasons, but the main one? It's time-consuming. Should be easy, right? Make an appointment, show up, let the photographer do her thing, and I'm done.

Oh, no. 

No, no, no.

I make this seemingly simple task difficult. *sigh*

Let's see why:

- I felt awkward in a studio, and the control freak in me wanted to be able to use more than the three photographs they allowed. So I could either shell out big bucks for a professional who would take pictures outdoors, or I could enlist the help of local friends who own good cameras. I opted to ask a friend. (It took me about a week to decide this.)

- Call said friend and set up a time and place to take the pictures. (15-20 minutes)

- Get my raggedy hair trimmed and highlighted. (2 hours)

- Purchase new foundation that matches my summer skin tone. (20 minutes)

- Buy a small thank-you gift and write a thank-you note to the photographer. (30 minutes)

- Pluck my wayward eyebrows. (15 minutes)

- Decide on outfits. I want these pictures to last, so I'm wearing summer appropriate and winter appropriate clothes. My clothes depressed me. Add shopping for a new shirt to my list. (2 hours)

- Do a test run on hair and makeup. (1 hour)

- Have the pictures taken! (2-3 hours)

- After the shoot, go through all the pictures. Resize and edit for various social media sites. (2-3 hours)

- Replace profile pictures on all social media sites. (1-2 hours)

What looks like a 2-3 hour task, actually works out to a full year of my life. Okay, not quite a full year! But all those details add up to 10-15 hours.

I remind myself it's worth it. I love having clear, pretty pictures on my sites, and having this done ensures just that. Hopefully, I can wait many more years before doing it again!

What have you put off because it will involve hours of time-consuming details?

Have a fabulous Wednesday!!

12 comments:

  1. I need a new pic of myself for social media and website. Problem is, I hate having my picture taken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here!! I feel so exposed on film. Like, hey, check out her wrinkles and crooked tooth! Ugh!!

      Delete
  2. Everything on social media (esp. author publicity-related) is time-consuming, LOL. Can't wait to see your new pics, Jill! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I hear you there. Plus I simply hate getting my picture taken so there are all the hours of agonizing and fretting before the photo session. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate it too. My smile is always fake. And my poses feel odd. It's the worst!!

      Delete
  4. During my photos, my friend and I were laughing that I felt like I was getting my HS senior pictures done. :) It's definitely uncomfortable and time consuming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's weird, isn't it?? And you're right--it's just like HS pictures!!

      Delete
  5. I hate getting pictures too, but I also don't want to be one of those people at conference who no one recognizes because they look NOTHING like their profile picture. And my hair changes color so often, it can sometimes be hard to keep up. Unfortunately, I'm not going to conference this year - so I guess I'm safe this go around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just described my feelings exactly! I want to be recognizable! I won't be going to ACFW either. :( Boo!

      Delete
  6. My friend, who is a pro, took mine. We laughed and laughed and by some miracle, she got one or two usable ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Ha! That's what I'm hoping for--one or two usable ones! Yours are beautiful, by the way!

      Delete

I love to hear from you!