Monday, April 7, 2014

Rainy Days are Good Days

Last Thursday around 11am ~

Raindrops splash against the pavement, compose a drum solo against the roof of my car. I'm in the high school parking lot, waiting for my daughter to finish track practice. I've called my mom, texted a friend, and sketched out my plan for the day. Stan Getz plays mellow jazz on my stereo.



Although a dozen to-do's clamor for top billing in my head, I tune them out. There's something lovely about a wet, early spring day, and the way brown and gray branches contrast with the drippy white of the sky.

I imagine steaming mugs of coffee or tea, cozy blankets, cracks of laughter with  my sister. A fluffy cat on my lap, the latest Karen Witemeyer novel in my hand.

But I'm in a parking lot, and I don't mind. I'll spend a focused hour later to catch up on my revisions. My son will go laser-tagging with a bunch of buddies, and I'll drive my daughter to the mall. We've been cooped up all spring break, and we're eager to escape.

For now, I relax into the music, watch the rain, and breathe.

Do rainy days speak to your soul? 

Have an amazing Monday!

9 comments:

  1. My love affair with rain is a bit like my love affair with snow. The first snow is always beautiful. After 6 months, I'm done. The first rainy day, is nice and comforting with its gentle tattoo. When it comes down in buckets and runs into the basement? Not so much love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I are so much alike! I prefer sun, sun, sun, but sometimes I don't mind the others!

      Delete
  2. I love, love, love rainy days! I love thundering rumbling days. I wouldn't want a month in a row of them or anything, but I do love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right on! I'll take a day or two of storms, but after that, no way!!

      Delete
  3. I looooove rainy days. I love them more on days when I get to stay home in my pajamas, but even on workdays, I enjoy them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh, no. Lots of dogs. Rain means lots of muddy feet. Color me sunshine.

    http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2014/04/stereotypes.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot about how messy dogs get! Our mini-doxie doesn't get too messy--plus we can pick her up and plop her in the sink before she tracks mud in!

      Delete
  5. I didn't leave a comment yesterday because I had to think about what I would say.
    I'm glad that you like rainy days.For me, the onlygood thing about rainy days that I like is I might be able to snuggle under a blanket or afghan on the couch and read. My joints start talking to me at least a day before the rain sets in.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!