Friday, May 21, 2010

One Goal Friday: May 21, 2010

How was your week? My routine went away this week, and I didn't mind waving bye-bye to it. It felt good to fix a problem chapter and to let the plot for my new novel burrow around in the tunnels of my brain.

I'm still jogging. But we made brownies this week. And blueberry streusel coffee cake. That's not counterproductive, is it? I didn't think so.

It's time to set one goal for the upcoming week. It can be related to work, family, fun, or anything at all, as long as it will enhance your life.

My goal last week? Based on my critique partner's suggestions, to rework the first chapter of the book I just revised. Mission accomplished!

Here are your goals:

Heather S: Rework end of story, about 2000 words a day
Tabitha: Have fun and relax
Terri: Rework an old romance to send to publisher
Wendy: Get author pictures
CJ: Send invitations for The Young One's graduation party (Congratulations!!)
Joanne: Write and schedule a few blog posts
Lynn: Edit inspirational romance short
Erica: Finish incorporating edits on ms and send it to publisher
Julie J: Start editing YA novel
Tyrean: 5000 words
Kara: Research Christian book market
Elana: Write a little every day and bake 150 cupcakes (!)
Keli: Forge ahead with rewrite and add 5000 words
Cindy: Finish plotting the new WIP, the scrapbook, and begin new workout routine
Kelly: Camping--regardless of weather
Jennifer S: Put Disney trip photos in album
T.Anne: Get through edits and start working on new WIP
Maria: Stay sane through daughter's graduation (Congratulations!!)
Sharon: Query two publishing houses and write two chapters on WIP
Susan M: Finish rewrites
Tess: Stay on one-chapter-a-day editing session
Jeanette: Decide to enter (or not) poem into Writer's Digest contest (I think you should go for it!!), stop worrying, and lose a pound
CMOM: Get 100% healthy! Do some writing and crafting

Excellent goals! You all set the bar high--and inspire me to set it high too. Hope you met your goals!

My new goal for the week is to finish reading Donald Maass's Fire in Fiction. A gem!

What one goal will you set this week?

Please leave your goal in the comments section. If you are new to my blog, I'd love to read your goal too, but if you aren't comfortable, feel free to lurk!

25 comments:

  1. Actually I don't get my pics until Sun. and it might rain here and you know what rain does to hair...so we shall see.

    This next week I want to 75K on my WIP.

    Sending love,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to see I worked on my goal:) I plan to rework some more chapters to send to my critique partners in a week or so:) ALso to read the chapters already sent to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning!

    Wendy: I hope the weather holds out for you! Getting pictures is exciting. Can't wait to see them!

    Terri: I look forward to reading them!

    Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to plan my daughter's grad party. Yes, I'm a last minute planner, and I have no clue how many people are coming because I didn't include an RSVP phone number. How lame am I? Please, PLEASE don't answer that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I missed the goal last week, hope to make The Young One's graduation party invites this week and send them out. Before she graduates college. There, should be able to accomplish the goal now (-; Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats, Jill, on getting your first chapter to a place where you're happy with it. What types of things did you work on: dialogue, description, characterization? Did you do minor tweaking or major rewriting?

    I exceeded my goal, adding 6,500 words to my wip since last Friday. My goal for this week is another 5,000 words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't met all of my goals yet, but it's still Friday morning. :)

    I really enjoy this post on Friday, Jill!

    My goals for next week: Write two chapters on wip, write one nf magazine article and research educational market for a completed story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, I read Fire in Fiction earlier this year and I still look over the notes I took. Excellent!

    Well, I had to push myself until 10:00 last night but I finished plotting every chapter (26 of them) for my new WIP. Ahhh...it feels good. I finished the scrapbook and started walking a couple miles a day. A good, productive week!

    My goal this week is to get 6-10 K on the new WIP. Thank you for keeping us motivated!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Georgiana: That's okay! Last minute is better than not at all. And I'm sure everyone can find your phone number to RSVP!

    CJ: How exciting! I know the invites will be gorgeous.

    Keli: I rewrote the opening scene, and I'm working on upping the conflict and toning down action beats in dialogue. Great job on your goals!

    Sharon: The day is still young! Good luck!

    Cindy: I purchased the book, and I'm highlighting passages. It's terrific! And look at you, finishing the scrapbook, walking, and plotting! Woo-hoo!

    Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job on your goals!

    I only made 136 cupcakes, but whatever. And I did write, but not everyday. :(

    So this week, I'm going to keep my sanity and try to write a little every day. One sentence or word oughtta do it...

    ReplyDelete
  11. My week was hectic, but full of unexpected surprises. Goal for this week? 2k words. Pretty much my goal every week! :) Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Elana: 136? Wow! Way more than I've ever made! And I know you've got a paragraph a day in you! :)

    Beth: You can do it! Good luck!

    Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We got camping & good weather last week... bonus! This week my goal is to stick with the one ingredient diet until my seven days is up... & then come up with a healthy eating plan from there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. STILL working on edits. This is taking longer than I thought, but I turned a big corner last night.

    Goal for this week: Press on and finish these edits.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Cindy -

    Yes, I've been avoiding this goal-setting thing for a few weeks. My house has eaten up most of my time. Now, I'm tearing apart my office, so I can find my desk.

    My goal: find my desk, clean out files, and generally get organized.

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. More time in the word.
    Happy weekend,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, Jill. I love this weekly jumping jack on your blog--it keeps me fit!

    I did lose a pound last week, but I didn't stop worrying, and I decided not to enter my poem. But I may change my mind. The deadline is June 1st.

    So my goals for this week are to lose another pound, decide for sure about the poem, and start the index on my second book. I've been putting it off too long now.

    Happy weekend!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ack! I haven't gotten through my edits yet!!!! I still have so much work ahead of me. I pray I get through it by next weekend. My new WIP is spinning circles in my mind. *sigh* It's a writers life. Have a great weekend Jill!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Get back on that treadmill at least four times this week. :O)

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Everyone has great goals here! And I like reading about your WIP progress.
    My goal breaks three goal making rules-clear, measurable, and realistic.
    One word: Courage.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kelly: Are you counting down the days until you're finished with one-ingredient?? (I would be!) Good for you embracing health!

    Erica: Some books take longer than others, and you've had a LOT on your plate. Good luck finishing!

    Susan JR: Cleaning? Organizing? Yikes! Good luck!!

    Karen L: Can't go wrong with more time there!

    Jen: Woo-hoo! Way to go! Losing a pound is a big deal!

    T.Anne: I know. It's so hard to ignore the new plot, isn't it?

    Dianne: Get on that treadmill!

    Lynn: You've got it. Don't worry!

    Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Jill,
    I've seen you over at the Craftie Ladies blog, so I decided to check yours out. It's so nice!

    I really, really like this idea of "One Goal Fridays". Very cool!

    Hmmmmm....what to set as a goal!? Lol! Ummmm, I guess I'll say to play my hardest in my last 2 tennis matches! Tomorrow's senior day, so hopefully I'll win *grin*

    Talk to you later,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  23. This week I will NOT make brownie mix to eat raw. That's my goal. :-)
    Sounds like you had a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I did meet my goals! Well, maybe I'm not 100% healthy yet. Close though. :)

    This week: Finish cleaning our home before some of our East coast family arrives. Devote at least 1 day to writing this week.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hannah: Welcome, I'm glad you dropped by! I love the Craftie Ladies! Good luck with that match.

    Jessica: Huh, and I was thinking making raw brownie mix to eat would be a GOOD goal!

    CMOM: You're doing great! Good luck!

    Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!