Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Consignment Shop: Fail!

Yesterday, I lugged a few bags of outgrown clothes to two consignment shops. Both are in a plaza about twenty minutes from my house, so instead of going home, I decided to wait out the hour and a half, browsing the other stores.



The first shop accepted none of the clothes. Surprising, since at least two items had been worn between zero and one time. Demoralized, I popped into Little Caesars to grab a $5 pizza (hello, lunch!), and texted my woes to a friend until the other store was ready for me. This time I earned $16.50 for around seven items. One of these was a brand new shirt for which I paid $14.95 pre-tax.

Yes, this was neglect on my part. Let's just say a certain child of mine clipped the tags, decided the sleeves were too short (he has long arms), and rather than promptly return the item, I let the tag-less shirt and receipt languish in my closet until the grace period ended.

As organized as I am, I've had many, many clothing fails for my family. Sometimes I buy the wrong size or style. Instead of taking an hour and returning the item, I get lazy and pretend it will magically skip back on its own. Hasn't happened yet, but I'm still hoping. Recovering some of the money back through consignment seemed like a good idea. It wasn't.

Between the lost time, the cost of the pizza, and the miniscule cash back, I consider the venture a failure.

From now on, I'm donating everything to charity. :)

Have you ever tried to consign items? Do you cringe at the "fails" you part ways with?

Have a terrific Wednesday!

14 comments:

  1. I tried consigning clothes when my girlies outgrew their little clothes. Found the consignment shop only wanted the brand name clothes like OshKosh and Polly Flinders even though the non-brand clothes were just as gently used and just as cute. Like you, I either handed down or donated to charity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. It's frustrating!! I'd rather just donate it!

      Delete
  2. Oh goodness, yes. I tried to consign a large group of name brand teen clothing to a shop here last year...they accepted *none* of them! I think they must get so much stuff in that they can be picky. It all goes to charity now. :) So much easier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! Ugh!! Oh well. Live and learn--like you, I'm donating it. :)

      Delete
  3. I feel your pain. So many times I thought, "I'll return these later." And later is, well...too late. I've done kids consignment things, and the Just Between Friends sale to earn a little extra money for writing pursuits. My stuff is usually too old, so stores don't accept it. I give my clothes to charity too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The time commitment to returning clothes gets me. Then I feel guilty... Yep!

      Delete
  4. The part of your post that made me laugh was when you admitted to letting the item languish in your closet rather than returning it. That's SOOO me. I can't tell you how many shirts or pairs of shoes I still have that I intended to return because I changed my mind and then never did because, well, I got lazy. (However, sometimes this is fun. I recently found a pair of shoes that were slightly too big which I'd meant to return and never did. But they're so cute! So now, I'm wearing them even though they make me trip. :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I've had those shoes, Melissa! Get a gel insert--I'll bet the shoes will fit better. :) I'm really glad I'm not the only one who has good intentions! :)

      Delete
  5. I stopped consigning because it was so stinkin' demoralizing. The lady would wrinkle her nose as she went through my stuff, choose less than half of it, and then tell me I needed to take something to the cleaners first. I donate everything now. I figure the tax write off is almost as much as I would get if I consigned it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is humbling. I have enough in my life to keep me humble. Why add that too? :)

      Delete
  6. Uh oh! I have a bag of clothes sitting downstairs, waiting for me to bring them to the consignment store. I have a feeling, though, they might not take anything like your first shop. I think I'm just going to have to give myself a time limit. If I don't take them to the consignment store in one month, I will donate them and get them out of the house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't hurt to try, Cindy. The more pristine, name-brand, and current the item--the more likely they'll take it. If your month runs out, just donate and don't feel guilty!

      Delete
  7. Oh, Jill, don't feel guilty...we've all been there! I've never liked selling clothes at consignment shops - and yard sales are too time-consuming and too much work! I donate everything to Purple Heart, or AmVets, etc, who come by and pick it up. I figure someone on a tight budget will be able to get something nice! It's a win-win. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Kathy! I refuse to hold garage sales anymore. Another bad return on my investment! Donation is the way to go!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!