Friday, March 20, 2009

Living On Less?

It's Friday. Time to throw off all that serious (and head-hurting) goal talk.

In fact, I'm tired of all the serious (and head-hurting) messages I'm bombarded with from the media about how awful the economy is. It's hard to stay upbeat and positive when all I hear is doom and gloom. Is the economy awful? Has the world ended? Is there anything, aside from crumbling to my knees and slapping my hands over my head, I can do about it?


Photo by Spine

One thing I've noticed on the covers of magazines is a glut of articles on saving money. I love articles about saving money. I'm always on the lookout for a new tip. Unfortunately though, all this talk about saving money is coming because unemployment is climbing, the banks are struggling, etc... Saving money is toted as a responsible act. And it is, but so is dieting, and how fun is that?

I think encouraging people to cut back on expenses and to beef up their savings is fantastic advice, but it comes across as deprivation right now. It's one thing to cut back on spending when you can, and another thing to cut back because you have to. Will consumers continue to live a pared down lifestyle when the economy is "straightened out?" Doubtful. And that's sad. I've been frugal for years now, and it is a lifestyle of abundance, not of deprivation.
That is why I'm posting links to a few fantastic blogs about living within your means. I hope all the folks who have cut back on spending, whether by choice or necessity, can feel encouraged about their lifestyle change. Living on less doesn't have to mean having less of a life.
The Simple Dollar, Gather Little By Little, and My Open Wallet are all fun and informative blogs about saving money. Hope you enjoy them as much as I do!

Enjoy your weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Jill-
    So funny that you mentioned some of the same websites that I read daily. I will have to check out My Open Wallet as that is a new one to me. Great minds think alike?!? =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frugal minds do think alike! I love My Open Wallet--very intelligent blog. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great tips. Lots of great stuff here, Jill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Connie, yes, there are so many great sites to share about saving money. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!