Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Author Loyalty

How do you know when an author jumps from your I-think-I'll-read-this list to your I-must-read-this list? Or, to put it another way, how do you know when an author jumps from pretty good to favorite? I know an author has climbed to my list of favorites as soon as a certain pattern emerges.

I bookmark the author's website and use it to track the release of her (or his, but usually her) next book. Then, when the book comes out, I have to buy it as soon as it hits the shelves. The current release is never enough, though, so I haunt old bookstores, searching for her backlists. When I've found and read them all, tears well behind my eyes, because I no longer have a stack of juicy morsels to relish.


I don't imagine for a second that I'm alone. You have the same obsession. Admit it.

I have several favorite authors and seem to pick up new ones every month. My pulse races when I see the tell-tale cover of a favorite author in the store--I have to buy it. I used to scurry home and devour the book all in one sitting but disappointment would set in as soon as I finished. Would I really have to wait another six months for the next one?


I've changed. Oh, my pulse still races and I still have to buy the book, but now I tend to wait before devouring it. I save the treasure until I've had a really bad day or feel miserable about something. That's when I need that book the most. And, I'm convinced, the book is even more fabulous.


Don't get me wrong, not all books hit me the same way, even when written by a beloved author. The characters might not blow me over, or the plot might not jump out at me, but it doesn't matter. I'll still read it cover to cover, and I never hold it against the author. She can't please everyone every time.


I'm currently reading the latest from one of my top five. And, yeah, I'm loving every minute of it!

Enjoy your week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!