Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Labor Day Recovery

Why did I decide to start writing my book the week before Labor Day weekend? I'll plead temporary insanity. Just when I got in my groove and was reveling in my awesome characters, the busy weekend--make that three day weekend--jumped up and caught me in its web.

I struggled to get the chores necessary for survival finished Tuesday morning so I could get back into writing. Sounds easy, right? Wrong.

The empty refrigerator and pantry signalled a massive grocery shopping adventure. And to bundle chores together, I threw the many boxes earmarked for Goodwill in the back of my van. (I'd like to claim I did this to help the environment, but I can't lie. I'm lazy. The thought of making a separate trip made me want to vomit.) Then I remembered I needed to return an item to another store. Three hours later, I forced myself home and could only think of chocolate, coffee, and a soft blanket to wrap up in (never mind the ninety degrees heat!).

Afterwards, the laptop stood open, staring at me. But instead of the excitement I'd expected to feel, I felt pressure. Would I be able to get any pages written before the next appointment of the day? Would my characters still be as awesome as I remembered?

Luckily for me, the dryer chose that moment to stop. Saved! I threw in another load of laundry and delayed the inevitable. But first I brewed a pot of coffee, broke out the Hershey's Miniatures, and lounged on my couch for fifteen minutes. I called it Labor Day recovery and was sorry I didn't think of it sooner. Note to self: next Labor Day, plan a Labor Day recovery period.

Enjoy your week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!