Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Writer's Life: Dawn Crandall

Welcome to another edition of Writer's Life, an ongoing interview series with authors of inspirational or sweet romance novels. Today's guest is Dawn Crandall! 

I met Dawn a few years ago at ACFW's annual conference. She's delightful! Last year, I was thrilled to find out Dawn was expecting her first baby AND she'd signed a three-book deal with Whitaker House! Her second historical romance in The Everstone Chronicles, The Bound Heart, released this week! Wow, what gorgeous covers!! Dawn is graciously giving away three ebook copies of either The Hesitant Heiress or The Bound Heart. The entry form is at the end of this post!




Let's get to it!



1. What about writing makes your heart sing?

I really LOVE to read my reviews! Every reader latches on to something different in my novels, and it thrills me to no end to learn what they specifically got out of them. There is so much complexity to writing a 90K word novel that takes a character from where she is and what she’s like at the beginning of a book and transforming her, stage by stage throughout the pages into who God wants her to be. I think readers love to see this. I certainly love to write it. Creating a character’s inner/spiritual journey and seeing their transformation by the end of the novel is my favorite part of writing books.  

2. What is the biggest hurdle you're facing right now as a writer?

Writing books while having a seven month old baby around! I keep my notebook near, and also oftentimes write my chapters on my iPhone.


3. What do you do to fill your creative well?

I read books by my absolute favorite authors. Although I write historicals from first person point of view, I do like to read a lot of third person POV (how most books are written) books. My favorite authors are Lori Benton, Jody Hedlund, Julie Klassen, Julie Lessman, Elizabeth Camden and Sarah Ladd.  I also love to look through historical photographs and watching historically set movies usually gets my creative juices flowing again.


4. What are you working on now?

The third book in The Everstone Chronicles series, The Captive Imposter, will release February 2015. This book is about Estella Everstone, the youngest sister of the Everstone family—but instead of taking place in fashionable Boston and Bar Harbor like the first two books, it takes place at a resort deep in the green, hilly mountains of central Maine.

I also have lots of book ideas on the back burner. As soon as all this craziness of my publisher releasing my debut series—three full length books in six months!—is over, I’m going to write up a bunch of proposals for my agent to start pitching to publishers. I’d really love to continue writing stories about some of the other characters introduced in these first three books!

***

Wow, Dawn, you've been busy! I can't imagine how exciting (and stressful) it's been to raise your adorable baby while writing and launching books! You're doing a great job. The reviews have been outstanding! The authors you mentioned are my favorites too. :) Have fun working on Estella's story!

***



About Dawn ~

Dawn Crandall didn't begin writing until her husband found out about her long-buried dream of writing a book. Without a doubt about someday becoming traditionally published, he encouraged her to quit her job in 2010 in order to focus on writing The Hesitant Heiress (Book 1 of The Everstone Chronicles). Dawn is represented by Joyce Hart of Hartline Literary.

The Everstone Chronicles is Dawn's first series with Whitaker House. All three books composing the series were semifinalists in ACFW's prestigious Genesis Writing Contest, the third book going on to become a finalist in 2013.



***


THE BOUND HEART


One accidental kiss. That was all it took to throw Meredyth Summercourt's world upside-down. Determined to marry the ever-elusive Vance Everstone, she simply doesn't have the time or the desire to fall for her friend Lawry Hampton. However, with Vance out of the country and Lawry constantly at her side, Meredyth can’t help but wonder if what’s holding her to Vance is nothing more than a desire to redeem herself from their unfortunate past.

When Vance comes home to stake his claim on Meredyth, will she be strong enough to break free from the tangled web she’s convinced she deserves? Or will she find the strength to accept that God’s plan for her life could include redemption... and quite possibly the love of her best-friend?

I've been squeezing reading time in at odd times during the day, including lunch and waiting in the car.

How do you find time to read?

Have a fabulous day!!

10 comments:

  1. A wonderful interview and giveaway. Dawn is a very talented author. Loved her books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katrina! I agree! She's talented!!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for stopping by with the encouraging words, Katrina! :)

      Delete
  2. We connected this week via Kelli Woodford. I'm in the Chicago area. I look forward to spending time getting to know you better and reading your writing. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The internal conflict that finally leads to the lead character's inner transformation always fascinates me. We are shaped not so much by what happens to us, as by how we process and respond to our circumstances. Thanks for making a spiritual transformation part of your stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Julie. The inner journey keeps me glued to the page! We're blessed to have wonderful authors who do this superbly! Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for coming by Julie!! Yes, I completely agree!! I adore getting to know my heroine and guiding her through her spiritual journey! Doing so also usually helps me in some way during the process! :)

      Delete
  4. Love the interview Jill!! Thanks for sharing!!
    Blessings,
    Nicki

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!