Monday, June 23, 2014

Karaoke with High School Friends

After getting cozy on our deck chair Saturday evening, I checked my cell phone. A friend from high school I'd recently reconnected with asked if I wanted to sing karaoke.

Did I?

I think we all know the answer to that. Yes!!



Now, I know many of you enjoy rich relationships with high school, or even grade school, friends. You've kept in touch, held each other's hands through tough times, stood up in each other's weddings, planned weekends together, and generally grown closer through the years.

Not me. My circumstances were a little different. I have very few friends from way back when. But my life experience has allowed me to befriend just about anyone, which is always a good thing! Let me explain.

I switched schools almost every year through eighth grade. Our family moved from the country to a city when I was twelve, but the high school I attended consisted mostly of out-of-town students who dormed. My best friend and I had different interests after high school, and we grew apart. In college I was the only girl in most of my classes due to my major. There wasn't much opportunity to find new girlfriends. Within a few years, my husband and I were relocating often for his job.

A part of me has always yearned for the group of long-term girlfriends so many women have.

Fast forward to Saturday. Meeting up with five high school friends was a real treat for me. This is a group who has stayed in touch with each other. Supported each other. Made time to be together. And I admire them for it.

The Karaoke joint was really loud, making it difficult to catch up. It's funny, though. I haven't seen a few of the girls in fifteen years, and it didn't matter. I knew them. Could see they've become exactly who they're supposed to be. Business owners, moms, teachers, wives, spiritual leaders. Did I mention we attended a Christian high school? One where learning about the Bible took top priority? Many of my old classmates have embraced their roles to be God's light in the world. It's impressive.

You're wondering if I actually sang a song. Yes, I got up on the stage and sang. My nerves were jangly. This voice has scared small animals before. But who cares? It was fun!

For one night, I got to see how it feels to have that group of high school friends. Got to spend time with people who knew me way back when my maiden name was my last name. And I'm thankful for the opportunity. It's funny how God blesses us in the most unexpected ways.

Do you have friends from way back? If not, do you sometimes yearn for them the way I do?

Have a terrific day!






4 comments:

  1. I have stayed friends with someone I met in jr. high (9th grade back then). Was my first year in public school after parochial school. I was the new kid and she was about the only one that would talk to me. We can be on opposite coasts or busy with work and kids, not hear from one another for a while, but when we do, it's like we've never been apart. Happy to say she doesn't live too far from me now. So we're able to get together face to face at least once a month. And there's always FB which she finally joined.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is SO awesome, CJ! I love that you live close enough to see each other often. It's amazing how friendship survives moves, time, and everything else. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill, Just because we don't always see each other or hear from each other as often as we'd like doesn't' mean we aren't thinking of you. I have so many fond memories of school and the crazy, silly things we did. You are so funny and are a big part of my happy memories from school. I have also enjoyed seeing your children grow up through the years on the Christmas cards you send. You are and will be a way back when friend forever! Loved seeing you. Let's stay in touch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun night for you, Jill! I love karaoke but don't get a chance to do it often. Luckily my two best friends from third grade/high school are still my two best friends. (Though one lives in Spain but is coming to USA for 6 weeks soon so will get to see her!) And through my kids I have a great group of moms that help me chauffeur and do occasional fun girls stuff too.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!