Friday, November 22, 2013

Reading Novels in Chunks

My favorite thing to do is read a novel all the way through in one sitting. To dive into a fictional world and not come up for air until the end? Delightful!




When I was younger, I had the freedom to do just that. But kids and life and responsibilities make reading a novel all the way through virtually impossible for me! I have weeks where I don't read fiction, and that makes me sad.

I ordered Karen Witemeyer's Stealing the Preacher a few weeks ago. I've heard tons of great things about her books, and I enjoyed meeting Karen at the ACFW conference this fall. But, again, the kids, the life, the busyness. The book stared at me, taunted me.

I didn't want to pick it up. I was going to love it. I knew it. And how would I put it down? How would I get the rest I desperately need each night? HOW??

Deep breaths.

I made a decision. I would read it in chunks. No matter how tempted I was to flip those pages until five in the morning, I would be strong.

And you know what? It's working. I was right--I do LOVE the book--but I read five or six chapters a night. I'm only halfway through it, and that's okay, because I have something to look forward to after dinner, and I'm not losing precious sleep.

Reading a novel over a period of time isn't my first choice, but if it will keep fiction in my life, I'm willing to do it!

How do you fit reading into your life?

Have a wonderful weekend!!

11 comments:

  1. I fit it in whenever and wherever I can! LOL I am a reading junkie, though life has become too busy over here too it seems. Since I homeschool, I have to be careful with picking up books too b/c once one is in my hand I can very easy turn our school day into a "let's all read ALL day long today" day:)

    You're going to LOVE that book, btw:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the exact same way, Susan! It's so hard to put down a good book!! (I couldn't help myself--I finished it last night. Wonderful!!)

      Delete
  2. Jill, you are right. There are times when life (responsibilities) can get in your way. I do read several chapters at a time, unless it's a small book. My problem is at night when the house is quiet and I can get really invested in the story. I will stay up late not realizing the time and the next morning I'm dragging.lol. Enjoy your book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Katrina, I've lost many a night to a good book. You are so not alone!

      Delete
  3. I read a lot in the car line. I'm in it for an hour! And I like to read before bed while Tim is watching shows I care nothing about like Survivor, Amazing Race and...Gray's Anatomy! ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you have built-in reading time! It makes the boring car line something to look forward to. Smart!

      Delete
  4. Same as you. I don't have a lot of time but do it in spurts. Of course, if I have a free evening, I'll plow through as much as I can! :)

    Happy reading. I love Karen's books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard, isn't it? Self control. Ugh! Thanks!!

      Delete
  5. I do a lot of reading while on my elliptical. It makes it so that I actually look forward to my workout time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! I was doing that last year on my treadmill! I should try it again. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. I would prefer to read all the way through, but I've paid dearly every single time I've stayed up into the wee hours. Let's just say my family would prefer that I get a decent night's sleep. I try to limit myself to a few chapters at a time these days.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!