Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Why I'm Resubscribing to Entertainment Weekly

Many of you know I have a slight (or major?) magazine addiction. It's not unusual for me to have 8 or more magazine subscriptions. Yes, I read them all! I'm not a skimmer. I also like to save inspiring pictures and put them in binders to browse when I'm hungry for ideas.


I don't automatically renew, though. Sometimes I find a magazine isn't holding my interest the way it once did, or maybe the cost of renewal skyrocketed. Either way, I'm not afraid to let a subscription expire and try a different magazine.

I always thought it was a bit self-indulgent to have all of these magazines, even though the cost is minimal; I only subscribe at the most discounted price I can get. My opinion has changed. I no longer think it self-indulgent at all. I realize how stimulating these publications are to my creativity.

Our library carries Entertainment Weekly. I checked out a few recent issues (I stopped receiving EW over a year ago, but I have ordered it off and on for ten years). Every other page I got ideas for blog posts. I also wrote down new artists I wanted to hear on iTunes, new books that sounded intriguing, and DVD's to add to my Netflix queue.

When I subscribe to Entertainment Weekly, I try new things. I'm more engaged with current music, literature, movies, and television shows. They spark my urge to expand my horizons, and that quality is valuable to me.

So I found a great deal on EW through Magazines.com, and I'm treating myself to a new subscription. Investing in my creativity will always rank high on my list!

What sparks YOUR creativity?

Have a fantastic Wednesday!

24 comments:

  1. love this post, Jill, and your addiction to magazines! I love getting new magazines ~ celeb pictures *always* spur my creativity!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Kristi! There's something about visual stimuli, isn't there? :)

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, I need to find a hobby like that. Nothing better then getting a muse in the mail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Not every magazine sparks my muse, but EW does. I love it!

      Delete
  3. Hm, must be something in the water today, I also wrote a blog post on recharging my creative batteries! For me, it's getting outdoors, preferably by water, and getting even a few moments to close my eyes and just listen to the sounds of nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Throw me on a beach, and I'm a new person. It's the best!

      Delete
  4. I subscribe to Entertainment Weekly just to catch up on the entertainment news, especially movies. I don't get ideas from the magazine. It's more of a relaxer magazine and same with PEOPLE Magazine.

    But after I read an article or two, I may begin start thinking of something to write about so after its sheer pleasure, it sometimes get me motivated to write because those writers write so professional and excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EW has amazing writers! I love that they aren't stuffy, but there also insanely intelligent and fair. It's a great mag!

      I know what you mean about magazines and relaxation. My Better Homes & Garden subscription just ran out, and it's my go-to relax and chill magazine. :)

      Delete
  5. History books and museums. And historical romantic fiction.

    I love that you read so many magazines. I peruse the glossies at the hair salon, and I'm sad to say, I don't know most of the people in the pictures/articles, nor why they're famous. :S

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your honesty! I read People online - the free articles. I'm cheap. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Music sparks my creativity, and DON'T LAUGH (ok go ahead)...cartoons.

    I read fashion mags like Vogue and InStyle. Also, I like to read Cowboys and Indians for when I need inspiration for writing a historical romance set on the frontier.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Erica: That's not sad at all! I'm the opposite--I know WAY too much about these people. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jaime: Ooo, People, that's a goodie! I'm cheap too. A magazine has to be deeply discounted before I'll subscribe. :)

    Brandi: What cartoons? Phineas and Ferb cracks me up! I like to get Vogue out of the library (yes, on top of my subscriptions, I check mags out too! It never stops!), but I haven't seen Cowboys and Indians yet. I'll start looking...

    Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, fun!

    What sparks my creativity...really good books. Movies. Gilmore Girls (weird, I know). And...bubble baths. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a book addict--they always spark my creativity too. And I'm all about the bubble baths! :)

      Delete
  11. Oooo, interesting! I'm not much of a magazine reader (unless I'm waiting in a doctor's office), but I can totally see how EW could spark creativity! When my creativity is spent I usually try to listen to a great audiobook or watch something fun on Netflix (like a british miniseries or a 80s chick flick!). One of those things usually works for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Downton Abbey on my Netflix list--I want to watch the series from episode one. I know I'll love it!!

      Delete
  12. I have been receiving EW for the past year for free when I purchased concert tickets. I love it. I love that they review movies, TV, and BOOKS! Also, they always have a cool cover. I LOVED the True Blood ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hubby isn't as enamored of EW as I am, but I'm with you--I am all about the reviews AND the covers!

      Delete
  13. Movies and TV shows, esp. those with kickbutt men/women inspire me!I can't wait to see The Bourne Legacy, can't wait for Skyfall (new James Bond out in the fall) and can't wait for Nikita to start up again in October.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Bourne movies and the new, grittier Bond films. They're so exciting! :)

      Delete
  14. Love magazines that spark my culinary creativity! Currently enjoying Food Network Magazine and Cooking Light - also love interior design magazines and gardening design. Have a great weekend Jill! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!