Wednesday, May 16, 2012

5 Easy Questions with Kelly Polark!

Every Wednesday, I ask a writer the same five easy questions. In an effort to support and promote fellow wordsmiths, I feature authors who write a variety of genres, from sweet inspirational to mainstream thrillers. The writers themselves may be aspiring, published, or best-selling--all have made an impact on my life.

Thank you for joining me in welcoming…Kelly Polark!!

I found Kelly through a Twitter recommendation, and her hilarious blog lured me in. She’s a huge music fan and goes to concerts often--which I like since I can enjoy them vicariously. Lucky for us, she shares pictures too. Just this week, Kelly shared a snapshot of her with Chris Daughtry. Pretty cool!

Let’s get to it!

1. Beverage of choice?

Fountain Coca Cola from McDonald's. I'm addicted. Though I show restraint and have about 3-4 a week. I also love chocolate milk.

2. Any pets?

We have two dogs. One 15 year old blind miniature pinscher named Goofy and a 3 year old rescue dachshund/spaniel mix named Daisy. Daisy adores Goofy. And we adore them both.

3. Dream vacation?

I'm a homebody, so my favorite place to be is home. I enjoy going to the Wisconsin family cabins on both sides of the family, and my favorite tropical place is Atlantis at the Bahamas!

4. What are you listening to right now?

The bands I'm listening to the most right now are Papa Roach, New Medicine, and Bush. I also can’t stop listening to Neon Trees’ new single, “Everybody Talks.” I love SO many rock bands though, and many are on shuffle on my iPod.

5. What's for dinner?

Our evenings are hectic. I have three children all in activities so I am usually picking up two around 5pm then driving straight to a baseball game or track meet. So sandwiches or cheese roll ups in the car with fruit is our usual weekday dinner! Boring, but true.

***

Kelly, you’re not alone in your McDonald’s Coke addiction. There’s something in their formula that’s magical. I can’t get enough! Your puppies sound so cute, and I LOVE their names. Vacation--yum. Wisconsin is so pretty, and Atlantis speaks to my beach-loving soul. :)

I haven’t heard Neon Trees, so I am going to look them up. It’s fun finding new-to-me artists! Your evenings have me nodding. We just wrapped up track season, and baseball is going strong. We’ll be having many similar dinners until August. Thanks so much for being my guest today!

***

Kelly Polark writes picture books, children's poetry, and middle grade novels. She is an educator and married mother of three. Her publications include poetry, short stories, and word puzzles in Highlights Puzzlemania, Ladybug, Nature Friend and Stories for Children magazine. Her first picture book app will be published by Meegenius by summer of this year.

Besides her family, her passion is music. She loves rock concerts and finding out what her favorite musicians are reading. You can find out too at www.bookrecsthatrock.blogspot.com.

To learn more about Kelly, head to her blog and follow her on Twitter.

What song are you really tired of hearing on the radio? (For me, it's "Stronger" by Kelly Clarkson.)

Have a fantastic Wednesday!!

42 comments:

  1. LOVE Neon Trees!!! (and cheese roll ups.) Fun questions! Nice to meet you, Kelly! I never listen to the radio in my car. I listen to my iPod. And I use Pandora or Spotify at home, so I can create what I want!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard Neon Trees--I just didn't know it! "Everybody Talks" is a great song. Love the snappy beat. :)

      So, no radio? That would deprive me of my passive aggressive channel changing, which is a big part of my drive! Ha!

      Delete
    2. Nice to meet you, Jessica! Go Neon Trees! :)

      Delete
  2. Stronger is on a lot and Adele's Set Fire to the Rain. All. The. Time. Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, ALL of Adele's songs are on constantly. Rumour has it I'm changing the channel for all of them! Come on!!

      Delete
    2. Adele is so talented. But she is all over the place. A lot.

      Delete
  3. Thank you, thank you, thank you for having me, Jill! :)
    I think I switch around between two radio stations and the iPod too much so I don't know what is overplayed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smart strategy, Kelly! I need to put new songs on my iPod. Every song is overplayed! Thanks again for sharing!

      Delete
  4. Cool bands & I do believe this is the first time you've had someone answer home for their dream vacation, Jill.

    Fun to learn more about you, Kelly!
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right, Wendy! Vacationing at home is a great answer, too!

      Delete
    2. Hi Wendy!! I have to admit I do love my home more in the summer than in the winter though. I live in the Midwest! :)

      Delete
  5. I haven't really listened to any of these bands...I'll bet my husband has, though. He has such an eclectic taste.

    And Atlantis...sounds awesome! Haven't been there but maybe someday.

    Nice to meet you, Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband has a knack for finding great new music. It's a blessing!

      Delete
    2. Hi Lindsay! Atlantis is so beautiful, and there is stuff to do for all ages. I hope you get to go one day!

      Delete
  6. I don't usually listen to the radio in the car because it just means extra noise! When I do tune in, I intentionally turn on the Christian music station because it's a rare moment of silence that I need to use to worship! :)

    So nice to meet you today, Kelly! I'm heading over to Twitter now to start following you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love SmileFM! The contemporary Christian music is so good!

      Delete
    2. Hi Gabrielle! I will find you on Twitter, too! :)

      Delete
  7. Awww, your pets sound adorable!!
    I'm getting tired of Fun, even though I love their song but now it's getting old. :-(
    You sound incredibly busy, but your dinners sound yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that the "We Are Young" song? It's like branded into my brain. Make it stop!!

      Delete
    2. I saw the FUN song on an overplayed list that I just googled out of curiosity! :)
      And my husband is definitely the better cook in this household!

      Delete
  8. I'm a fellow fountain cola addict too. Why is it so much better than the cans?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is SO much better. I rarely drink Coke out of a can. I'd have water instead! But fountain Coke. YUM!

      Delete
    2. Yes. Agreed. Fountain pop = delicious!!

      Delete
  9. Hmmm. MacDonalds in Canada haven't gotten it right for me. But then I prefer Diet Coke. Maybe that's a different situation. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be the Canadian fountain drink dispensers ;)
      My hubby's aunt stops by McDonald's every day for a fountain Diet Coke!

      Delete
    2. It could be a different situation. Maybe US McDonald's have a secret formula to addict us? :)

      Delete
  10. Kelly is awesome!
    I have Sirius/XM in my car and Pandora at home (when I'm not listening to my iPod) so I never get annoyed by overplayed songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just discovered Pandora on my Kindle Fire! It's awesome!

      Delete
    2. Good strategy. We just got Sirius/XM and I love flipping through the stations. I actually really enjoy the 90's station. :)

      Delete
  11. Yay for Kelly! I love the photos she shares from the concerts too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my word, I go to McDonald's just to pick up their light lemonade. It's sugar free and tastes really good! It's not the same anywhere else.

    Also, I need to check out New Medicine. You're the one that got me hooked on 30 Seconds to Mars, so I take your recs seriously, girlie.

    Great interview, Jill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had their lemonade! Because I always get the Coke I guess. :)

      And yes, check out New Medicine. The bassist is an avid reader and super cute and nice. And of course I love their tunes.

      Delete
  13. Kelly, great interview. You are one of the brightest forces on the internet I think, and a total rocker chick!

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Angela! Kelly always makes me smile! :)

      Delete
    2. Awww. Thanks so much, ladies! You are making me smile right now!

      Delete
  14. Great questions and answers! And your dogs sound too adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kelly is awesome! I had the privilege of meeting her via a Skype workshop with Mark McVeigh. She has promised to meet me for a cup of coffee some time when she's in Iowa. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I need Kelly to be my music advisor. I am looking up the bands she mentioned, because I'm so old and out of it, I don't know any of them.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!