Friday, February 8, 2013

Why I Recommend the Frasier Contest

Last year I was polishing a manuscript, and I noticed the announcement that The Frasier Contest was open. Several friends were members of My Book Therapy, the Craft and Coaching Community for Novelists founded by Susan May Warren, and they always had wonderful things to say about it.


I read through the Frasier guidelines, saw the terrific line-up of final judges, and figured I might as well enter. If I made it to the final round, I'd be a clear winner since I would get feedback from Susan May Warren, a top agent, and a top editor. Expert advice isn't easy to come by in this business.

Last year was pretty rough on me, but entering this contest was a bright spot, because on the day they announced the finalists, I got a message on my answering machine--from Susan May Warren herself!

I quickly made a house rule--no one deletes the message from Susie. No one! (Yes, I listened to it many times in the upcoming months!)

The winner would be announced during the MBT Pizza Party at the ACFW National conference, and I was actually attending the conference for the first time.

Did I win? No, but I truly was not disappointed. For me, being one of the final five was winning.

Not long after, I received all of my score sheets. When I read through the comments of the final judges, I was filled with gratitude. They all gave great suggestions and were very kind and encouraging. I reworked the opening 100 pages as a result!

Besides the great advice, I benefited in a few other ways. As a finalist, I had the opportunity to write an article for the now-retired e-zine, Voices. My Book Therapy also pays to advertise the finalists of The Frasier in the ACFW conference program, and several people I'd never met congratulated me. Ego boost! The pizza party gathered a small army of writers, and Susan herself made a point to encourage each finalist. This woman's generosity amazes me!!

I have been writing full-time for six years. There has never been a time that I didn't welcome expert advise. I still need it. I'll always need it. This kind of knowledge is precious.

What are you waiting for? The Frasier Contest can only help your writing!

***

Entries for the 2013 MBT Frasier Contest for unpublished novelists will be accepted through Saturday, March 31, at 11:59 p.m. The contest is open to Voices members. The winner will receive a scholarship to a My Book Therapy coaching retreat ($500 value). Final round judges are award-winning author Susan May Warren; literary agent Steve Laube and a TBD fiction acquisitions editor. For more information, FAQs and to enter, visit www.mybooktherapy.com. 

***

Have you entered The Frasier contest? Are you considering entering this year? I'd love to cheer you on!

Have a terrific weekend!

15 comments:

  1. That's hilarious about not deleting that message. I didn't delete my first "call" until we got new phones. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great pick-me-up, Jennifer!! The things we do... :)

      Delete
  2. I was so excited for you, Jill!

    Lots o respect for this contest.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy! I remember calling you after the message--too funny!!

      Delete
  3. I wouldn't have deleted the message either! LOL I love feedback and I think keeping a teachable spirit is sooooo beneficial. We can always learn something. We've never arrived. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! A teachable spirit is necessary in all walks of life, including the writing life. :)

      Delete
  4. How fun, Jill, and great to know you got some great advice. It's crazy how much there is to always be learning, isn't there? I entered the Frasier last year and benefited too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome!! It is crazy. I'm astounded at how many things I pick up each month. You'd think the brain would get crammed, but it doesn't!

      Delete
  5. Yay, thanks so much for writing this post, Jill. I'll admit that I'm a little biased about the Frasier as an MBT coach, but I really, really fee it's one of the best out there. I love the scoresheets and how the judges take the time to really explain their scores. I'm so glad you had a great experience with it--congrats again on finaling last year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm biased too, Melissa! It's a great contest with great judges. They really encourage even as they point out areas to grow. :)

      Delete
  6. Jill, it was so much fun hanging out with you at the MBT pizza party!I know God continues to have great things in store for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could NOT have done the pizza party without you, Cynthia! You know I couldn't!! And I know God has a special future for your writing too. :)

      Delete
  7. First congratulations on finaling in the Frasier! I so agree that it's a great contest and the feedback is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Patricia! I've gotten the most useful feedback from The Frasier, and I've entered some big name contests. It's the best. :)

      Delete
  8. Congrats on being a finalist in the Frasier last year. Hope this year holds great things for you and your proposals. Will be excited to see them turn into published books!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!