Friday, November 12, 2010

Style Plateaus

Has your hairstyle been the same for a decade? Are you using the same makeup techniques from when you were in high school?If you're currently in high school, you can ignore that question. What about your clothes? Do you own any trendy items?


I've been on a style plateau for years. Part of it is budget, part of it is an aversion to shopping, and the other part is insecurity. I don't want to look like I'm trying to be fifteen years younger than I am. And short hair on me looks horrible, so I keep it long.

I do have a few shortcuts to make it seem I've gotten off the plateau, though.


  • Check out the latest makeup colors and trends in fashion magazines. Purchase a lipstick or eye shadow in the current shades for an instantly fresh look.

  • Emulate Jennifer Aniston or Jennifer Lopez or any of the other gorgeous celebrities in regards to their hair. They keep the same basic style for years, but they update the color, the highlights, and the way they style it.

  • Stick with basic jeans, slacks, and foundation shirts and sweaters, but add a few inexpensive trendy shirts to keep your look up to date. Also, study the shoe, handbag, and jewelry trends to add a polished air to your outfits. If you can't afford much, head to Target for similar items or a discount store like TJMaxx.

  • Shop in your closet. You probably wear the same things in the same combinations over and over. Take the sweater you always wear with the same jeans and swap the jeans for a pair of corduroys. Add a blazer and a necklace. You have a new look for free.
Are you, like me, on a style plateau? Do you have ways to make it appear you aren't on one? Or are you usually up on the latest styles?
Have a terrific weekend!

16 comments:

  1. I'm not a very trendy person. I try to stick with the classics that never go out of style, or maybe I've hit a plateau and don't even know it. I do have long hair for the same reason as you and that hasn't changed in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It helps me to shop with my mom and my sister. They're honest and will tell me if I'm stuck in a rut. I'm not a very good judge on clothing if I'm shopping alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning!

    Heather: Short hair isn't for everyone! Sticking to classics is so smart. You haven't hit a plateau!

    Julie: Moms and sisters are great for honest shopping. I miss mine!

    Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have friends who are extremely fashion conscious so they keep me in the know--and looking good. Otherwise, I'd be happy in flip-flops and sweats. :)
    But I cheat and shop at TJ Max and Kohl's. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun picture! I hate having the same hairstyle for long, so I'm always trying something new. Right now, though, I'm just trying to grow it out. My younger sister is the trendy one in the family so she always helps me with my shopping :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky me has a daughter who works part time at a drug mart with a great cosmetic section. Even just a sparkling new eye shadow makes me feel better about what I wear. And always 30% off!! Cute picture Jill!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have my favorite items that are probably not so in style anymore, but for the most part, I try to keep up with the trends when I can afford it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use a lot of your ideas. They work, don't they? I'm not on a plateau because I change things around a lot. I love classic things, but I also enjoy a touch of something wild like leopard. I wear a lot of black, but I have a hot pink blouse. So I guess you would say both, I'm classic and trendy at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have an aversion to shopping too! Glad I'm not the only gal!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just dyed my hair for the first time in decades. I used to be subtle. hairdressers would tell me how being naturally blonde was a gift and I believed them. I guess I got bored...my hair is now calico colored and I wonder why i didn't do this ages ago. Change is good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shopping generally isn't much fun for me. I'm an in and out kind of gal. See what I want, snatch it up and buy it.

    And like Heather, I'm a classics girl. I don't follow trends.

    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jill -

    I like to buy pieces that don't go out of style in a year. Sometimes I'll pick up an item that's "in," but then I look dated the following year.

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. (Smile) I just got my hair done...I had a new cut and color. I have a young hair dresser and I just let her "fix" me. She did a great job! On clothes, I usually take my 14 year old fashonista shopping with me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You all sound like you're on top of your look! I'm impressed!!

    Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jill:
    I prefer things that don't go out of style. That way I can wear them longer. Being the age I am, I prefer to dress for comfort, slacks and tops/sweaters or sweat suits.
    My hair is thick and porous. I sometimes get tired of wearing it short. When I let it grow, I have to work with it more. Almost two years ago, I went back to coloring it. I get it colored and highlighted usually every three months. It took me 18 months to find the right highlighting process for me. My hairdresser grew up across the street from us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are so fun! I love you!
    Two weeks ago, I told my stylist, "Do something drastic. I'm sick of it."
    She asked, "Are you gonna use a blow dryer? Spend like one minute a day on it?"
    I committed!!

    Yep. Have had a style adjustment and an attitude adjustment too!!

    This was such a great post, especially in light of the deep nasty synopsis ones.....LOLOLOL

    Can you tell I'm about to start synopsis five???

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!