Wednesday, March 14, 2012

5 Easy Questions with Rosslyn Elliott

Every Wednesday, I ask a writer the same five easy questions. In an effort to support and promote fellow wordsmiths, I feature authors who write a variety of genres, from sweet inspirational to mainstream thrillers. The writers themselves may be aspiring, published, or best-selling--all have made an impact on my life.

Thank you for joining me in welcoming…Rosslyn Elliott!!

I met Rosslyn through mutual blogging friends, and two things struck me—this lady is super smart, and she’s also very down to earth. Rosslyn has a generous spirit, and I’m thrilled to spread the news about her second book in the Saddler’s Legacy series, Sweeter than Birdsong, out now! Her covers are gorgeous. Be sure to head to her beautiful website to check out all of her books!

Let’s get to it!

1. Beverage of choice?

KAWFEE. The morning lifeline! I’m trying to switch to half-caff so I can have two cups instead of one. But two cups of full-caff will make me a scary, edgy Muppet-like creature.
2. Any pets?

Two dogs, the heavenly hound and the “other dog.” Ha! Our dog Snow is absolutely perfectly mannered. Frosty is, well, not, but we love him and squeeze him anyway.
3. Dream vacation?

Tonight I am really in the mood for a long restful vacation. So I would like to go for a week or two to a quiet retreat in the mountains, near a clear stream with a rocky bed for wading, just our small family and the dogs. I’d like to read by the fire in a nice recliner and have all meals appear on our table, prepared and served by invisible sprites, all with candlelight, china, and crystal. Everything would be whisked away and washed somewhere out of sight and mind by our fairy friends. This isn’t my dream vacation at all times—just now, when I want to rest and read.
4. What are you listening to right now?

My daughter’s sweet little snoring noises.

5. What's for dinner?

Leftover chicken casserole. Bring on the fairy cooks!
***

Rosslyn, two cups of caffeinated coffee turn you into scary, edgy creature? This I have to see! I, unfortunately, seem to be immune to the effects because I just keep guzzling it. Or maybe I do turn into a freak show but I don’t realize it since I’m alone? I’m sensing a hidden camera moment. By the way, I love the winter theme with your pets. Snow and Frosty! Cute!

Your current dream vacay sounds so, so marvelous. I love the mountains, and hiking, and reading by the fire, and magical fairies who cook and clean. Guess who’s coming along?! I won’t even wake your sweet baby girl. Promise! Thanks so much for being my guest today!
***

As the child of a career military man, Rosslyn Elliott lived in four states and two foreign countries before she graduated from high school. She attended Yale University, where she earned her BA in English and Theater Studies. After five years working first in corporate New York City, then as a schoolteacher, she entered the Ph.D. program at Emory University and finished her dissertation in 2006.
Her study of American literature spurred her to pursue her lifelong dream of writing fiction. She has won awards for both her fiction and non-fiction writing, including the 2011 Laurel Award for Fairer than Morning, which was also selected as one of Lifeway’s Ten Favorite Fiction Reads for 2011.

Rosslyn lives with her husband and daughter in the southern United States, where they enjoy working with horses and pampering their dogs. Her fiction is represented by Rachelle Gardner of Books and Such Literary Agency. To learn more about Rosslyn’s books, head to her website, be friends with her on Facebook, and follow her on Twitter.


Music offers Kate sweet refuge from her troubles…but real freedom is sweeter.
In Westerville, Ohio, 1855, Kate Winter's dreams are almost within reach. As the first woman to graduate from Otterbein College, she'll be guaranteed her deepest wish: escape from the dark secret haunting her family. But with her mother determined to marry her off to a wealthy man, Kate must face reality. She has to run. Now. And she has the perfect plan. Join the upcoming musical performance—and use it to mask her flight. 

Ben Hanby, Otterbein College's musical genius, sees Kate Winter as an enigmatic creature, notable for her beauty, yet painfully shy. Then he hears her sing, and the glory of her voice moves him as never before. He determines to cast her in his musical and uncover the mystery that is Kate. Still, he must keep his own secret to himself. Not even this intriguing woman can know that his passionate faith is driving him to aid fugitives on the Underground Railroad.

A terrifying accident brings Kate and Ben together, but threatens to shatter both their secrets and their dreams. Kate can no longer deny the need to find her courage-and her voice—if she is to sing a new song for their future.
***

I’ve completely let my exercise and health routine slide. Who is willing to kick me in the buns today?

Tough love, people. Tough love! (No chocolate. Okay, maybe a little chocolate? That isn’t tough? Grr…)

I’ll be in and out this week because I'm teaching a fiction workshop to local 7th and 8th graders. You wouldn’t believe their imaginations. So fun!

Have an amazing Wednesday!

22 comments:

  1. So fun to see Rosslyn here today! I LOVE the cover of "Sweeter than Birdsong."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie: I love it too! In fact, all three of her covers are bee-yoo-tiful! :)

    Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come visit me for that long rest, Rosslyn! Love Rosslyn! And Jill, you come too. Writer's retreat. You can help me fix the chaos I've created in my kitchen.

    And your #4, I'm pretty sure sounds don't get much better than that!

    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill, thanks so much for having me. I love your questions and your sense of humor. :-)

    Julie, good to see you! I like all three covers, but I think the cover for _Sweeter than Birdsong_ may be my favorite.

    Wendy, I am still seriously tempted to set my next novel in your neck of the woods, just so I have the excuse to get up there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rosslyn, I'm hearing great things about your books!!
    Your vacation sounds perfect and I love the sound of my 4 yr old's snores too. lol

    Jill, dark chocolate. It's for your heart, which is just as important as your buns. *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa, I see what you mean by a beautiful cover!

    And yes, I've absolutely let my health routine slide. And for the record, the first time I typed "health" it came out "heath." So, apparently I've got candy bars on my mind. Here's to eating healthy and conquering the elliptical today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, that vacation DOES seem so what I need right now too. *sigh*

    And yes, I need to hop back on the treadmill or whatever. I did hike yesterday, but that's only been about once a week. I just feel better overall when I'm exercising and eating right.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can I come with you on your trip away, pleeeeese? I will be quieter than a silk slipper, I promise.

    I have chucked my exercise program, too, so we should kick each other in the tushie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So great to "meet" you, Rosslyn! I love leftovers. Some things actually taste better, or maybe that's I sell it to my family so often!

    Jill, I will be happy to kick you! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I have so much to say! First, I LOVE the idea of camping with fairies who cook the meals and take care of the clean up. Next time I go camping I'll click my heels three times and hope for one of those lovely creatures to arrive.

    I LOVE the summary of this book. I'm going to look of for it after I leave this comment!

    And Jill, I'm an enabler *passes Jill chocolate*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shoot - that book sounds right up my alley. Do I dare add another book to my very, very big "to read" pile? I'm afraid I must.

    Jill, I'll kick you in the behind if you'll kick me. But first . . . one bite of dark chocolate for motivation. . . .

    Laura
    I Was Just Thinking . . . (http://bellewoodfarm.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What fun to see Rosslyn here today. Love her. Love her writing. I just received my latest Amazon shipment, which contained Sweeter Than Birdsong and am eager to read it.

    I'm sure we could find a cabin by a stream in the Sierras that would fit your bill, Rosslyn. Why would I suggest that locale? Because I live in the Sierra Foothills and would be able to come up, share a cup of tea with you, and enjoy your awesome company.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So nice to see Rosslyn here today!

    Two cups of coffee also makes me into a scary, edgy Muppet-like creature!- Loved that description! Fun interview, ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice to meet you, Rosslyn! Congratulations on your book. I'm from Ohio, so it's always fun to read about characters from my home state!

    I want fairy sprites to cook for me, too!

    Thanks for the introduction, Jill!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jessica, I agree about the dark chocolate--one of my favorites. Especially Terry's dark chocolate orange. Mmmmm.

    Melissa, Lindsay, Jeanette, I'm with you, Jill, and all the others whose exercise routine has gone with the wind. Must get healthier after these rewrites!

    Jessica - Some things do taste better, but not that chicken casserole. :-)

    Julie, I'm glad you like the summary! I think there's a little something for everyone, so I hope you will enjoy it.

    Laura, my TBR pile is gargantuan, but I also keep adding!

    Keli, that trip to the foothills and tea sounds lovely. If only I could chuck these rewrites and go now. :-)

    Loree - Glad to know that in addition to all the other things we have in common, we have caffeinated Muppethood. LOL!

    Brandi, thanks for coming by. I always love it when Ohioans hear about the books. For one thing, it's easy for you to visit the Hanby historic home if you are inspired by their story.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sooo wonderful to see you all today! We were without power until 5:00pm, so it's been kind of weird. My kids acted like Armageddon had arrived. I mean, come on, a few hours without power isn't the worst thing that could happen! Anyway, I'm very thankful for the power being back just so I don't have to listen to whining!

    And thanks for all of you enablers AND you kickers! I need you both!

    Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE the premise of that book...good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi ladies! How fun to see Rosslyn here today! (Okay, so it's nighttime now, but who's being technical? :))

    Rosslyn, I sooo want to join you on that vacation! And if you find the helpful little kitchen fairies, feel free send them my way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooh, that vacation does sound lovely. Maybe we just need a series of cabins in the mountains, so we can all have a private escape but it will still be easier for the sprites to get to each of us!

    I drink my coffee in half-size cups, so I can feel like I'm indulging in two cups during the day, but it's really only one. I'm all about the mind games!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jill,

    I think it is great that you are featuring writers, getting their names out there and promoting their books. Writers need a strong community.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you all for welcoming Rosslyn! And thank you, Rosslyn for being such a fun guest!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!