Monday, November 21, 2011

What Your Vacuum Cord Says About You

Have I performed secret psychological studies explaining the mysteries of life according to the state of your vacuum cord?

No, but I did just spend seven minutes (yeah, seven! Why? Why??) thinking about my vacuum cord and wanted to write a post about it. Obviously, vacuum cleaners aren't very exciting, and their cords are positively dull. I had to find some way to wake up this yawn-a-rific topic. 

My vacuum is ten years old. It's a Hoover WindTunnel. I've loved this vacuum even as it slowly deteriorated and continues to do so. The cord in particular has problems. Sections of it are wrapped in electrical tape. Chunks of the rubber coating are missing. A few spots are coming dangerously close to exposing the wires. 

It also permanently bends in the same spots because of the way we wrap it. Its sharp, hard curves remind me of an arthritic hand, and sometimes I feel sorry for it. Of course, I still crank down the plastic holder and whip the cord out like a lasso whenever it's time to shimmy the vacuum around the house. I mean, come on, I don't feel that sorry for it.

I know my vacuum needs to be replaced--it's spitting things out, much like a cat coughs up a hairball--but I resist. I know I can make it work a little longer. :)

So here is my impressions of what your vacuum says about you:

- Shiny, new, perfect cord? You value performance and have high expectations of the tools you use. If your vacuum is not new but the cord still looks new, you must either never use it or you take extremely good care of your appliances. I'm in awe  of you. You have a level of patience I don't possess when it comes to cleaning!

- Slightly beat-up cord? You don't let much in your daily life bother you. Sure, you have days where coffee spills down your shirt and you're stuck in traffic, but you get through it with ease. And it isn't a big deal to you if your appliances don't work exactly as they should. They work and that's good enough for you. You rock!

- Somewhat dangerous, cobbled together cord? Welcome to my world. You're probably a tad stubborn. You'd rather spend money on something fun like a three-foot long box of chocolates from Russell Stover rather than replace a vacuum. However, you do actually clean the house, and you'll replace that bad boy when the vacuum motor dies. (Am I the only one in this category? Please, tell me I'm not!)

What does your vacuum cord say about you?

Happy Monday!

25 comments:

  1. I can add a couple of others--cord that is carelessly wound up and stuck on the top handle? A writer with no time.

    Cord that's meticulously wound around the correct spokes on the back of the vacuum? ...This is possible? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd probably say the slightly beat up cord. If something works, great. If it doesn't work perfectly, and I can still use it, I will. So I"m a little bit of the last one too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Hoover cord retracts with a toe on a pedal.. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mine definitely says, "You don't use me enough!" Also shows that I've yet to figure out how to wrap it up neatly... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My vacuum's cords aren't fraying, but they're coated with the residual dust from the carpet powder I use, lol. So maybe it's slightly beat up. My poor vacuum is probably good for another year or so. Then it's kaput.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm definitely in the last category! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning!

    Elizabeth: Ha! We should probably examine the state of the closet the vacuum gets shoved into--mine is a category 5 hurricane!

    Laura: Yes! And I would LOVE to keep all of my appliances shiny and pretty with nice, neat cords. It just doesn't happen!

    CJ: Okay, you sold me! I'm looking into your model when I go shopping!

    Katie: Me too. Maybe we like to live on the wild side? Never sure if we'll get electrocuted or not... :)

    August: Ha! Unfortunately, mine says that too. :(

    Brandi: Oh, yeah. My entire machine is scuffed and has a layer of dust over it. You're not alone!

    Susan: Ha! We should trace pictures... :)

    Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That I should vacuum more because I don't know what my cord looks like. But if its in good condition then my husband gets all the credit:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in Camp #2...but my cord is only wrapped up properly 50% of the time - because any time my DH vacuums, we 're-wraps' the cord by looping it around his hand and then 'hanging' the looped up cord around the actual cord holder. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm definitely a category 2 - as long as it picks up most of the cat hair, it's good enough for me :) (although I have to admit I'm a little OCD about the wrapping of the chord)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do have a nice vacuum cord. That's because my daughter left me her vacuum when she moved out. I think I got rid of my old one when the cord split or the motor died. I do keep them as long as possible.

    I was just thinking today, I wish I could get one without a cord. That thing always gets in my way. Well, I can dream.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm kinda between the first and the second. Our cord looks pretty new because our vacuum is only a year old? Out of all the appliances, this is one that I can't stand not working, so we replace when we need to. But I don't treat it all that lovingly, so it's a bit worn already. See? I DO vacuum! Gotta keep it nice and tidy around here :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My cord still looks fairly new, but it hangs from the handle rather haphazardly. I lust for a new vacuum, but I can't quite justify the price!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha! This is too funny, Jill. I just vacuumed this morning, and I am NOT a happy vacuumer...It's not my favorite household chore. :)

    I'm not sure where my cord falls in these categories...probably slightly beat-up. But that's not because of overuse, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tamika: Ha! I'd keep that going for as long as possible!

    Kristina: Too funny! I love his wrapping process. :)

    Ayda: Same here! I always wind it around those plastic dealies. It would bother me to have it flung all over.

    Nancy: Don't you love nice hand-me-downs? And they do make the Roomba. It's a robotic vacuum! I don't know if it works well, but it's an option. :)

    Cindy: I hear you! It's good to see the silver lining--we DO vacuum!

    Elspeth: Oh, you and me both. I am just really cheap when it comes to replacing one. I want a good one, but I don't want to spend the money!

    Sarah: I try to get it over with as quickly as possible. Our baseboards can attest to that!

    Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Eh? Vacuum? Wuzzat? My cord is perfectly wrapped around its plastic knobs, thank you, which is from a combo of being busy (writing) as well as from being OCD--I mean perfectionistic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Carol: Ha! Good for you. Your vacuum is one lucky appliance!

    Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So funny!!! I love this, b/c my cord has has had a troubled and flawed past. I'd go as far as to say my vaccuum nearly died b/c of the cord. I've taken my sweet Oreck into the repair shop for some love and attention. Out of that love and grace I showed the entire vaccuum, the repair shop made my vaccuum new again with a brand-spanking new cord. It lives again!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So what if your vacuum cord is completely non-existent because your vacuum cleaner blew up a month ago and you are now borrowing a vacuum from the not-in-use guest apartment on your farm knowing that you have until June to buy a new one, but why bother now?

    Does that tell you my priorities? ha!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Heather: Oh, your vacuum is so lucky you own it. A brand new cord! The thought! :)

    Sheri: Yep. I'm feeling it. I say why buy one now when you can buy one on a Memorial Day sale? Am I right? :)

    Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jill, you must have some profiling skills because your explanation of the cobbled up cord is me to a 'T' :)

    The vacuum is only a couple of years old, but the dog's sharp teeth christened it pretty eary, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a cool post, Jill. I don't think I've ever actually considered that my vacuum cord could really say anything about me, so you've definitely inspired some creativity! I guess mine says, "you've got too much else going on to bother properly wrapping me every time."
    Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Stacy: Ha! Just call me the profiler. :)

    Jennifer: I don't think anyone ever thought their vacuum cord could say something about them--what can I say? My brain is a strange, strange thing!

    Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  24. A fun one! I am so the one with the dangerous, cobbled cord. Will probably shock myself or the cat sooner than later!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!