Monday, February 23, 2009

The Lull Between Projects

This week we're looking at the lull between projects. It's a breeding ground for procrastination. So we're going to focus on building an idea bank to get us through those times. When you're chomping at the bit to write your next great story, you won't feel the urge to procrastinate.

When you finish a project, you feel quite justified in taking a little time off. You've earned it, right? Absolutely! Take a pre-determined time to relax, recharge, and linger over the possiblities of your next piece. When that pre-determined time has come to an end, start your next project.

But what happens when the week (or month) ends and you don't start your next project? P-r-o-c-r-a-s-t-i-n-a-t-i-o-n. Sorry, but it's true. The longer you take to start writing again, the harder it will be.

I don't know what to write. All of my ideas are lame. I couldn't possibly top the last story I wrote.

Those are all viscious lies we tell ourselves. They aren't true. You can't use up ideas--they are truly limitless. Trust me on this!

Limitless ideas? Ha! You're crazy!

Well, sometimes I am crazy but not about this. The key is to listen to all the ideas that come your way and not poo-poo any of them. No, you won't use every idea that pops in your head, but when you get used to listening to them, you'll use the best ones that come to mind.

I don't even get one idea in my head

Is that true? Really? You listen to the radio, watch the nightly news, or read magazines, yes? No one lives in a vacuum. Interesting stories come to us on a daily basis.

Join me on Wednesday when we'll discuss how to take those interesting idea kernels and expand on them to come up with fabulous plots.

And...

Get Motivated! It's Monday!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jill,
    I know this column was written just for me. Right now I'm working on a project and feel great. As soon as it's done, though, I'll go into my usual zone of despair. No ideas! I'll never write again! Thanks for the motivation to keep on going. Can't wait for Wednesday's help.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jan,

    Hurray! Isn't it fantastic when you love the project you're working on? It fills me with such a sense of accomplishment.

    And don't worry, you don't have to go into "despair zone" when it's done. We'll be on the subject of "ideas" for a few weeks.

    Thanks for following my blog!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!