Wednesday, November 9, 2011

5 Easy Questions with Jessica Bell!


Every Wednesday, I ask a writer the same five easy questions. In an effort to support and promote fellow wordsmiths, I feature authors who write a variety of genres, from sweet inspirational to mainstream thrillers. The writers themselves may be aspiring, published, or  best-selling--all have made an impact on my life.

Thank you for joining me in welcoming… Jessica Bell!!

I met Jessica through blogging and was immediately charmed. She's lived an artistic life on a different continent than me (check out her bio below!), and she expresses herself through a variety of mediums--as a musician, poet, and writer. In fact, her novel, String Bridge, just released through Lucky Press, and Jessica released a soundtrack, Melody Hill: On the Other Side,  to accompany it. You can find more about String Bridge after the interview.

Let's get to it!

1. Beverage of choice?

There are quite a few. Some healthy, some not so, but I have to say my most favorite is a strawberry smoothie. I'm picky though. It's got to be made with frozen strawberries, Greek yogurt, full fat milk, and a generous amount of honey. No sugars, sweeteners, ice cubes or skim milk thank you ...

2. Any pets?

Yes! My adorable dalmatian, Holly Bolly Wollywood :o) That's what I call her when I'm cuddling her face close to mine and scratching under her chin. Otherwise, it's just Holly.
(Attached picture if you want to use it!)


3. Dream vacation?

Travelling around Australia in a Ute with my partner and my dog, with ALL the time in the world to explore every single nook and cranny. I have to add, with the least amount of belongings possible. We've gotta go it rough. ... um ... but can I sneak my laptop along? LOL

4. What are you listening to right now?

Holly banging the window for me to let her in. But I'm not giving in. She's too spoiled!

5. What's for dinner?

I hardly ever plan dinner, or even cook ... properly. I slap something together a the last minute that's quick and easy like salad, pasta, or soup. But funnily enough, today I have planned, and it's already prepared and in the fridge, ready to pop into the oven. Fresh grilled sardines is on the menu today, with some steamed green veggies, feta cheese and olives.

***

Jessica, I made strawberry smoothies this morning with Greek yogurt and fresh berries. I did add a banana, though, and a scoop of protein powder! Oh, and you have a dalmation. Aren't they sweet? We have one in our neighborhood, who, I'm ashamed to say, our mini-dachshund yaps at, but she's a lovely dog. What a fun name!

I would love to sneak my laptop along for a tour of Australia. It's been on my fantasy vacay list for as long as I can remember. And Hugh Jackman has nothing to do with it. Nothing at all. :) Enjoy your delicious and healthy dinner, and thanks for being my guest today!

***
Here is the book trailer--and yes, that is Miss Jessica singing!--for String Bridge. Ooo, it gave me shivers it's so good!




String Bridge ~ 

Greek cuisine, smog and domestic drudgery was not the life Australian musician, Melody, was expecting when she married a Greek music promoter and settled in Athens, Greece. Keen to play in her new shoes, though, Melody trades her guitar for a 'proper' career and her music for motherhood. That is, until she can bear it no longer and plots a return to the stage--and the person she used to be. However, the obstacles she faces along the way are nothing compared to the tragedy that awaits ...


String Bridge and Melody Hill are available through Amazon (both are linked) now!


Jessica Bell is a literary women's fiction author, poet and singer/songwriter who grew up in Melbourne, Australia, to two gothic rock musicians who had successful independent careers during the '80s and early '90s.

She spent much of her childhood travelling to and from Australia to Europe, experiencing two entirely different worlds, yet feeling equally at home in both environments. She currently lives in Athens, Greece and works as a freelance writer/editor for English Language Teaching publishers worldwide, such as HarperCollins, Pearson Education and Macmillan Education.

In addition to String Bridge, Jessica has published a book of poetry called Twisted Velvet Chains. A full list of poems and short stories published in various anthologies and literary magazines can be found under Published Works & Awards, on her website.

From September 2012 Jessica will be hosting the Homeric Writers' Retreat & Workshop on the Greek island of Ithaca, home of Odysseus. For more information about Jessica, head to her website, her blog, like her on Facebook, and follow her on Twitter.


What's the weather like today in your neck of the woods?


Have a wonderful Wednesday!



13 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for having me here today, Jill! It was a real pleasure! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica, Powerful imagery in that trailer. Good to learn more about you. But no sugar, ack! My teeth would thank me for it, but how would I survive.

    Cool interview.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to meet you here, Jessica. I love the 5 Questions interviews.

    Who wouldn't love a Dalmatian named Holly? Love it!

    It's cold and damp here in my neck of the woods. Supposed to have snow in the forecast, but so far nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning!

    Jessica B: Thank you for being my guest! The trailer is amazing--I can't believe it's your song! You have a beautiful voice. Since a pretty singing voice is not one of my gifts, I'm in extra awe!

    Wendy: I agree. Powerful imagery--good description! I can't live without sugar. :)

    Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erica: Holly is a fabulous name! Your rain must have spread east because it's a rainy, miserable day here. We haven't gotten snow yet either. :)

    Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh!! I love her voice and song. I think I've seen that trailer before. It's very moody and dark. Great job, Jessica!

    Also, I'm exactly the same as you when it comes to dinner. I HATE planning one. Sometimes I have to cuz I have kids and all, lol, but I really don't want to. Thanks for the interview, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jessica, you are obviously talented and unique. I'll have to take a chance on your book, especially since it's setting is an exotic locale for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wendy, I'm glad you like the trailer. Thanks for reading today!

    Erica, nice to meet you too. PS: my mother's name is Erika too. But with a K. Great name! ;o)

    Jessica, thank you SO much!

    Jill, ooh I love it when people take chances on something new! I do hope it won't disappoint!

    Thanks everyone for reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jessica N: With kids, planning dinner is a necessity! Not fun, but worth it. :)

    Jill: I know! Family members went to Greece this summer, and their pictures were soooo gorgeous!

    Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice to meet you Jessica, and another great interview Jill. Amazing talent there..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for another fun interview, Jill, and the opportunity to meet Jessica. I think it's fun that she calls her dalmation Holly Bolly Wollywood. We have two cats, and they have a plethora of nicknames, many of them goofy as all get out.

    It's a lovely fall day here in the Sierra Foothills of California, sunny and low 60s.

    ReplyDelete
  12. P.W: Amazing, indeed!

    Keli: We have tons of silly names for our dog too! :) And I'm jealous of your weather. It turned cold last night. Brrr...

    Dawn: Thank you!

    Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!