Wednesday, October 15, 2014

I Now Offer Paid Critiques

Two weeks before getting "the call" (you can read about it in "Celebration Time, I Sold!"), I decided to offer a paid critique service. I'm happy to announce The Critique Boutique is now open!



I've belonged to several critique groups over the years, and I currently have two excellent cp's who have become two of my best friends. (Thank you, Wendy Paine Miller and Jessica R. Patch!) I'm blessed that way! But I didn't always have reliable critique partners. In fact, I had long periods with no extra insight on my manuscripts. During those times I had to rely on contest feedback and my own revising skills.

Guess what? Contest feedback and my revising skills weren't enough, and I knew it. But I wasn't comfortable asking just anyone to read my work, and I couldn't afford an expensive freelance editor. So I made an effort with other bloggers, reached out to those I thought would be a good fit and slowly forged the relationships needed to have strong, long-lasting partnerships.

Along the way, I learned a lot. I've critiqued books in a wide array of romance genres: paranormal, historical, contemporary, urban fantasy, inspirational, and women's fiction with romantic elements. Additionally, I joined RWA and took advantage of everything it had to offer, including joining a local chapter (I served on the board of MVRWA for four years), studying the monthly magazine (RWR), and attending their annual conference to pitch, take classes, and network with other romance writers.

About five years ago, I joined ACFW and got serious about learning how to write Christian romance. I finaled in the Frasier contest (2012) and the Genesis contest (2013). Over the last seven years, I've studied more than thirty books on the writing craft. Additionally, I've worked hard at building my author platform. I can spot weaknesses and strengths in a writer's web-presence because I constantly analyze my own.

In April 2015, my debut novel, Small-Town Bachelor, releases through Harlequin Love Inspired. All that work paid off, and my writing wouldn't be where it is today without valuable feedback.

While I'm able to spot strengths and weaknesses in all fiction, I only critique sweet or inspirational romance novels. Why? I'm the most qualified to give advice for sweet or inspirational romance whether it's historical, romantic suspense, or contemporary. I read many books in these genres and understand the markets for them.

What Services are Offered in the Critique Boutique?


1. First Chapter Critique
2. First 50 Pages Critique
3. Synopsis Critique
4. Social Media Evaluation

In addition to a quick turnaround and affordable rates, you can expect an honest, thorough critique. I consider it a privilege to read your work. 

*Due to time constraints, I do not offer full manuscript critiques.

For a full breakdown of services, prices, my qualifications, testimonials, and terms, go to Critique Boutique. It's also a permanent tab on my navigation bar. If you have any questions, please e-mail me at critique(at)jillkemerer(dot)com. Just type "Critique question" in the subject line.

Would you help me spread the word about the Critique Boutique? You can share this post on Facebook or Tweet about it by clicking on the buttons below. 

Thank you!


2 comments:

  1. This is great and I know you do a fabulous job critiquing! Woohoo! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a super fab critique partner! Thanks for all your support!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!