It's officially autumn. I'm blessed to live in the Midwest where we have four seasons. Some years it feels like one season (winter), and others we skip a season (spring) but we always, always have fall.
We've had unusually hot Septembers lately, which can trick us into thinking fall won't come. But there's a sure sign it's arriving--cold mornings. I take my little dog out each morning, and I know summer is almost over when I need a sweater and tennis shoes. No more flip-flops for this girl!
The leaves slowly morph from green to red or yellow or orange or even brown. One day everything seems green. The next? It's an explosion of fall colors. I love that!! The only downside is that this color burst lasts roughly 7-10 days. A relentless rain never fails to beat all the pretty leaves to the ground. Then the world becomes dreary and gray.
Things I can't live without in autumn?
- A fire in our fireplace on cold Sundays
- A cozy blanket to wrap up in
- Cinnamon flavored cream for my coffee
- Winter squash
- Apples in my crisper
- Mashed potatoes (and roast beef)
- Long walks through the wooded park nearby
- The sun on my face even when it's getting cold
- A pretty fall wreath on my door
- Several bags of Halloween candy to be eaten by yours truly
- The anticipation of the upcoming holidays
- Replacing my light summer quilt with a heavier bedspread
Each season holds a special spot in my heart, and autumn is right up there!!
What says autumn to you?
Have a terrific day!!