They say what comes around goes around.
Yep. Here I am...the mom taxi.
Between catechism classes, the array of sports for two kids, and the endless social pick-ups/drop-offs, I'm in my mom-mobile a lot. Yesterday I enjoyed five tween boys who were singing it up--or screaming it up--on the way home from baseball practice. Yeah, we've already started baseball practice. Indoors, thank goodness!
I don't mind being the mom-taxi most days. When there's a wait, I get to read. Or journal. Or stare out of a coffee shop while sipping coffee. Who doesn't like that?
The days I do mind are when I have a headache, when the roads are bad, when I'm missing a good football game on TV, or when we have three things to get to in a row.
A few things I do to keep my sanity intact:
- Pack a bag to take with me. I always include my journal, a book, a magazine, and a bottle of water.
- Do an Internet search of the route first if I'm not familiar with the area.
- Figure out how long between drop-off and pick-up and decide if I'll find a coffee shop to wait it out or go back home.
- Make sure my cell phone is charged.
- Never think about what I could be doing. That kind of thinking leads to resentment. My kids are growing so fast, I'm glad to be able to be the mom taxi!
So what has come around that went around when you were younger?
Have a terrific day!!