Another Valentine's day is almost here. When I was young, I loved Valentine's Day. I adored the little cards and their teeny-tiny envelopes. Someone in my class always gave out cherry-flavored red heart suckers. Sometimes I would talk my mom into letting me take heart-shaped sugar cookies with strawberry frosting.
Yes, Valentine's Day was lovely back in the day.
Photo by Mark Gstohl
Now that I'm older, it all too often involves a round of:
- Figuring out how many after-school activities are on the schedule that night.
- Moaning about how expensive restaurants are and remembering the recent mediocre meals we paid top dollar for.
- Wondering what says "romance" to a guy on a twenty dollar budget?
- Flipping over a greeting card and gasping. They're really five bucks now?
- Coming up with alternatives to the whole thing--a nice meal at home, maybe even a romantic movie, all guys like candy, right? And he'll just throw away the card so why bother taking out a second mortgage for one...
Yes. I write romance and am romantically challenged. Romance probably should mean not looking at the price on the back of the card, not caring if the restaurant isn't worth it, going over budget on a cool gift, and just saying no to any extra-curricular activity. But I'd be lying if I said I did all that!
As I write this, I'm brainstorming a fun gift basket for my hubby. I'm planning on making a tasty meal. And--since I'm being really romantic--I'm scoping out what college basketball games are on television that night. I know the way to his heart!
What are your plans this V-Day? Is it stressful for you? Or do you love it?
Have a terrific weekend!