Friday, August 24, 2012

Me? An Early Morning Person? Never!

Another school year has begun, and with it, a new schedule.



I'm more of a late-morning gal as opposed to an early morning one. So when I realized I would be getting up at 6am, I gagged a little.

Now, I know many of you must rise earlier. Like 4:30am earlier! And I'm shaking my head and murmuring my condolences to you. But 6am just seems...yucky to me.

In a perfect world, I would have been slowly easing my wake time over the past two weeks. I would have been doing the same for my kids. In a somewhat perfect-ish world, I would have at least done this the past week.

In my real world, we slept in until the day we had to get up. It's shocking to the system, but that's life.

I can't speak for you, but here's how new schedules usually go in our house.

Day 1: Everyone jumps out of bed at the alarm. We're all excited and nervous about the start of the school year. The morning flies by smoothly. Happy times!

Day 2: Waking up isn't as easy. We're tired. We got less sleep than usual, and our energy is depleted from the excitement of day one. The morning is ripe for bickering and tension. I drink a lot of coffee. A lot of coffee.

Day 3: We get up, but we're all overtired. The simplest question can result in a snappy comeback, and none of us possesses the patience sorely needed to avoid a verbal war. We try to keep talking to a minimum and just survive the day. I drink more coffee. I add M&Ms to the afternoon snack.

Day 4: Our bodies are finally adjusting--and maybe the school week was cut short. We smile, knowing we can catch up on rest over the weekend. We're still a bit chippy, but it's not the edge of war anymore.

Day 5: Yeah, we got this! We're tired at night and functional in the morning. No sweat!

Adjusting to a new schedule causes my tension to soar. By recognizing it's temporary, I'm able to hold on to my sanity. However, I doubt I'll ever become a morning person. Give me two days, and I've completely reverted to staying up--and getting up--late!

So, let's hear it. Are you a morning person or a night owl?

Have a fantastic weekend!

15 comments:

  1. I think you already know! Morning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeh totally NOT a morning person either. It's horrrrible. And morning people are not easy to live with. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get up early only because Himself gets up at the crack of stupid. I like to ease into my morning. Take it slow rather than getting up like a racehorse at the starting bell. I'd really love to live in OZ. "We get up at noon and off to work at one. Take an hour for lunch and then at two we're done. Jolly good fun!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica: I know!! You're my hero. :)

    Freya: No, they aren't. Way too much happiness to contend with before the sun rises!

    CJ: "...at the crack of stupid." That's my new favorite quote--yes!!

    Wendy: Nooo!! You too?? :)

    Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to make myself become a morning person. It isn't always easy for me to get up at 5:30, but trying to write at the end of the day doesn't work for me. My brain is too tired at night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. More of a night person myself - but training myself (yes, I said training myself) to get up earlier so I can make the most of the time God has given me. It has been difficult, but worth the effort! Enjoy your weekend! And catch up on that much-needed rest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hehe, this made me laugh. I've become a morning person out of necessity, but I still love late nights laughing with family or friends. So, I'm sort of a mix. But yes, most days I force myself up around 5:15 or so.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yuk! SO not a morning person...but I'm getting better. For some reason, it seems reasonable to get up at 6:45, but not 6:00. Don't know why, it's not THAT much earlier. But we're already a week into our new schedule and it's going okay. I think I might need to buy M&M's soon, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not much of a morning person, though I have been at times in my life. And I'm more of a morning person than the rest of my family. We don't start school in our house until about 8:30 or 9 because the students are wicked groggy and foggy in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Morning, morning, morning!! Although 4:30 is even too early for me. But I work 7-4 and love it. I feel like I get so much more accomplished in the morning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My favorite thing is to get up at 9:00 and go to bed between 11 and 12. That's nine hours sleep. I don't get it often so it oozes over when I have a longer day. When I'm up and dressed, I'm a morning person, no matter what time it is. That means I'm cheerful. I may nod off a few times.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm definitely a night owl and then sleep in! I love staying up late and sleeping in - it may be bad habit but I'm used to it. I also have a rough time adjusting when school starts but after a few days, I'm used to it. I get used to things quickly...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can be either. If I have a rough night sleeping, I tend to sleep in. If I have to get up just before sunrise to take a walk,I find myself wide awake.If I have an extra early morning,I may find myself taking a nap in the afternoon or even late morning.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a morning person to a degree. I like getting up at 6:30 A.M. If I have a rough night, 7:00 A.M. or 7:30 A.M. is even better.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!