We're marching and singing in a Christmas parade this weekend. I've never participated before, so the images in my head are very idealistic. I have this lovely fantasy scenario playing out, but I think we all know the reality will be quite different.
Let's look at my fantasy verses reality, shall we?
- My kids beam with happiness, "We get to sing in a parade??" They're so thrilled about our family outing, they want to join hands with me as we spread joy down the street. Kumbaya time.
- My kids haven't been toddlers in a long, long time. Not only are they not jumping up in excitement, they're already moaning about it. And holding hands? Laughing so hard I just choked on a piece of apple!
- The weather is clear and warm. You know how in the movies or on commercials, you see people with snow falling around them? They're usually wearing an unzipped jacket and cute shoes? That's me. Unzipped jacket, cute shoes, feeling good.
- Um, I live in Michigan. If it isn't snowing, it's probably raining, and if it isn't raining, we can expect biting cold winds. Not only will my jacket be zipped, I'll be wearing a turtleneck and two sweaters. Don't forget the ugly snow boots. I can't even fathom not wearing a hat, scarf, and gloves. Let me tell you, all these layers add bulk. It won't be pretty.
- Our voices will mingle in harmony as we sing Christmas carols. I'm talking concert choir level singing.
- I sing loudly and off-key. And in every group--correct me if I'm wrong--there's at least one mumbler and one person who sings a fraction too fast. Let's not forget the lyric master; you know, the guy who sings the wrong words but doesn't realize it? Oh, yeah!
- Our spirits bulge with the wonder of sharing holiday cheer.
- Our spirits bulge with the wonder of sharing holiday cheer...and we still whine about the freezing weather, skirmish over who stands where, test to see if the hat is absolutely necessary (yes), and wish, out loud and often, we had a hot cocoa in hand.
Ahh, the charms of a Christmas parade. I'll take reality over fantasy every day. It's more fun!
What are you doing this weekend? Getting into the Christmas spirit yet?
Have a marvelous weekend!