Friday, November 18, 2011

The Fantasy and Reality of a Christmas Parade

We're marching and singing in a Christmas parade this weekend. I've never participated before, so the images in my head are very idealistic. I have this lovely fantasy scenario playing out, but I think we all know the reality will be quite different.



Let's look at my fantasy verses reality, shall we?

Fantasy:
- My kids beam with happiness, "We get to sing in a parade??" They're so thrilled about our family outing, they want to join hands with me as we spread joy down the street. Kumbaya time.

Reality:
- My kids haven't been toddlers in a long, long time. Not only are they not jumping up in excitement, they're already moaning about it. And holding hands? Laughing so hard I just choked on a piece of apple!

Fantasy:
- The weather is clear and warm. You know how in the movies or on commercials, you see people with snow falling around them? They're usually wearing an unzipped jacket and cute shoes? That's me. Unzipped jacket, cute shoes, feeling good.

Reality:
- Um, I live in Michigan. If it isn't snowing, it's probably raining, and if it isn't raining, we can expect biting cold winds. Not only will my jacket be zipped, I'll be wearing a turtleneck and two sweaters. Don't forget the ugly snow boots. I can't even fathom not wearing a hat, scarf, and gloves. Let me tell you, all these layers add bulk. It won't be pretty.

Fantasy:
- Our voices will mingle in harmony as we sing Christmas carols. I'm talking concert choir level singing.

Reality:
- I sing loudly and off-key. And in every group--correct me if I'm wrong--there's at least one mumbler and one person who sings a fraction too fast. Let's not forget the lyric master; you know, the guy who sings the wrong words but doesn't realize it? Oh, yeah!

Fantasy:
- Our spirits bulge with the wonder of sharing holiday cheer.

Reality:
- Our spirits bulge with the wonder of sharing holiday cheer...and we still whine about the freezing weather, skirmish over who stands where, test to see if the hat is absolutely necessary (yes), and wish, out loud and often, we had a hot cocoa in hand.

Ahh, the charms of a Christmas parade. I'll take reality over fantasy every day. It's more fun!

What are you doing this weekend? Getting into the Christmas spirit yet?

Have a marvelous weekend!

16 comments:

  1. Ever since the October snow, I've been in the mood and have been listening to Christmas music. I'm not usually like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whether we're talking fantasy or reality, Jill, I know you all will have fun! Enjoy the hot cocoa afterwards! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun! We're FINALLY getting snow here, and it is so hard for me to not bring out the Christmas music. Only the knowledge that if I start Christmas-ing now I'll be sick to death of it by December 25 is keeping me away from the tinsel and carols.

    I am, however, gleefully planning on drinking lots of hot cocoa this afternoon. I'll save a cup for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure you'll have an excellent time! :o) This weekend I'm just hoping to relax after a three period of work chaos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christmas? I'm still trying to get through Thanksgiving! (-; Have a great time at the parade.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hysterical!

    We are driving 22 hrs. to FL. Oh yeah, there will be cheer alright. When we get OUT OF THE CAR! :D

    Oh, and our DVD car doohickey dealio is broken. Yeah!

    Merry. Merry!

    (Have fun at the parade!)
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning!

    Laura: Last year I wasn't into the Christmas spirit all that much, but this year, I'm ready for it! It's funny how some years we're more excited than others, don't you think?

    K.B.: Oh, yeah! I like to dollop loads of Cool Whip on mine!

    E Louise: Same here. I'm itching for my Christmas albums, but I'm holding out until next week. I don't want to get tired of them. Enjoy your cocoa!

    Jessica B: You deserve a rest! Stay in your jammies and chill!

    CJ: Ha! I know--I loved your sketch on your blog yesterday. I'll wish you happy Christmas season in two weeks, okay? :)

    Wendy: Chills just rushed down my spine. 22 hours. Kids. Broken DVD thingy?? I'm praying hard for you, lady. Praying hard!!

    Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope the parade is lots of fun, Jill.

    I'm presenting a workshop to my local RWA chapter Saturday, joining my hubby for a TV show taping featuring classic British cars--including his '68 MGB--Sunday morning, visiting our college daughter Sunday afternoon, and attending our church's annual Thanksgiving service Sunday night. A full but fulfilling weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The rain/snow would totally turn me off from even going. Sunshine please! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been in two Christmas parades, both times riding on a float. Will it be better walking instead? Still cold, but it can be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's cute, Jill! I've never been in a parade before, so I'd probably be thinking those fantasy thoughts, too. I'm excited about Christmas and ready to start celebrating!

    ReplyDelete
  12. 'Kumbaya time' - priceless! Hilarious post, Jill.

    My tree is going up on Friday, first thing. I love the house decorated for Christmas. It makes it so cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Keli: Sounds like a fun weekend to me! Enjoy!

    Diane: We can hope!!

    Storygal: I don't know--it might be warmer walking? Maybe not!

    Cindy: I'm ready too. I can't wait to start watching old Christmas movies. ;)

    Ayda: Oh, yeah. I have unrealistic expectations sometimes!!

    Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like fun!! (The fantasy part) LOL

    I want my hubby to do Christmas decorations the Saturday after Thanksgiving. He gave me a look. So it looks like the weekend after that. (He's such a Grinch sometimes) :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG, I just snort laughed! Jill, reality is great for campfire stories, right? Have fun :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. So freakin' funny! I'm the one who sings loud and out of tune, too!

    This weekend, I'm hosting book club for a book I've not finished. It's really good, but I'm so having trouble. And I'm planning Thanksgiving, so no, I'm not quite to Christmas, yet.

    Have fun at the parade!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!