Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Pet words

Revisions, revisions, revisions. I've been talking about them for the past two weeks, but what I haven't mentioned are the great pet words that pop up (over and over) with each book.

Two books ago, my characters were constantly in a "sleek car" for some reason. In my last book, the characters were smiling and grinning so much, I thought they should be on "Hee-Haw." I seriously could hear "Clang-clackin'-clang-clackin'-clang-clackin'-clang-clang-clang" in the background. Maybe even a "Salute!"

I'd thought I'd stopped the amateur hour. Surely, my readers do not need to have every facial expression described to them. They do not need to have every vehicle described as sleek. Does there really need to be that many mention of vehicles at all?

Yes, this book would be different, better.

But...

I accrued a new pet phrase: perked up. She perked up. He perked up. The dog may have even perked up. Every chapter has someone perking up!

Why? Why do I feel the need to repeat these words or phrases constantly? And why is it a new word or phrase every book? It's like a Where's Waldo for the writer--who can spot the pet phrase? Uggh.

There is hope. Maybe my next book will have the magical first draft which is pet phrase free? Until then, I'll keep my eyes open for the offenders.

Enjoy your week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!